Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with internet problems

• Please log in to reply

epepps14

epepps14

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, I have been having a problem with my internet for about a few weeks now. I have a laptop with wireless connection and it says that I am connected to the modem, I also have aol instant messenger that is connected to the internet on my computer that works just fine. But when I go to open internet explorer or firefox they wont connect me to the internet. I have no idea what is going on. I posted this info in the hijack this forum and they said that I should ask it in the vista forum. Anything you can do to help get me back on track would be great.

Thanks
Eric

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
TCP/IP stack Winsock settings in Windows Vista may get corrupted, causing errors and problems with Internet connectivity. Corrupt Winsock or Windows sockets configuration can be due to a lot of reasons such as installation of a networking software, or due to virus, trojan or malware infection, or sometime even due to disinfection of spyware by security software.

When Winsock corrupts, the networking errors that you may face include unable to surf the Internet with “Page cannot be displayed” error message in Internet Explorer or AOL even though the DSL/ADSL/cable Internet connection is connected. Sometimes, Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service is terminated as well.

To repair and reset the Windows Vista

1. Click on Start button.
2. Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
3. Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
4. Type

netsh winsock reset

in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
5. Restart the computer.

What netsh winsock reset command does are it resets Winsock Catalog to a clean state or default configuration. It removes all Winsock LSP (Layered Service Providers) previously installed, including the potential malfunctioned LSP that causes loss of network packets transmission failure. So all previously-installed LSPs must be reinstalled. This command does not affect Winsock Name Space Provider entries.

Note: To check which LSPs installed on your Vista system, use the

netsh winsock show catalog

command

It’s also possible to reset TCP/IP Internet Protocol stack.
http://www.mydigital...ta-2003-and-xp/

SRX660

epepps14

epepps14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I tried both of those solutions, but nothing has helped. Still stuck in the same situation..... And I posted this same problem in the hijack this forum and they said that I dont have any malware or viruses on my computer.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
What wireless connection are you using? A router? I had assumed that you had already checked the settings and they were good.Do you know what the settings should be? Have you tried calling your ISP to see if they could help you with the settings? If we knew the make and model of your hardware we may be able to find the settings you need.

SRX660

epepps14

epepps14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have comcast, so I am using the modem that they provided to me. And Im sure that its not the modem that is the problem because my roommates computer works just fine and it is connected the same way as mine.

The modem that I am using is a Netgear Wireless Cable Modem CG814WG v2

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
From the Netgear website.

CG814WG or CG814WT or CG814WCOM
Cable Modem Gateway

For support and information, contact the company you purchased the product from. After you have done that, other potentially useful information is below.

* These models must use the firmware from the vendor. Do not use other firmware.

If you are not the original owner and cannot get support from the vendor, the NETGEAR product on this site closest in function is CG814M.

On this webpage is the installation manual and the reference manual for the CG814M gateway.

http://kbserver.netg...ucts/cg814m.asp

Installation manual
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/cg814m_install_guide.pdf

Reference manual
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/Referen...nual_CG814M.pdf

Perhaps you can see where your settings are wrong by reading the setup for the M version.
You really should have Comcast help you in setting up your computer. I am sure it is just a matter of settings.

SRX660