Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Setting Windows XP Home Edition to factory Settings

• Please log in to reply

214blacksheep

214blacksheep

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer is infected with spyware and malware and I want to reset my Windows XP Home edition to factory settings.
I have already copied my files I need to an external hardrive so I'm not worried there.
I tried to reboot with my recovery disk but when I press F11 to restore, it gives me a white bar at the bottom that says " Please Wait..." and I let it set there for a few hours and nothing ever happens.
Is there another way to restore to Factory Settings without the disk. And please don't say to use "System Restore to a earlier date" because that doesn't work either.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When the computer starts up hit the delete key( may be a different key on some computers) to get into the BIOS and set the boot order to boot from the cdrom drive first. Then use the F10 key to get out of the BIOS, but do save your settings. Navigation in the bios is by the arrow keys and the enter key. When you find the boot order, highlight it in blue with the arrow keys, then hit the enter key. A new window will pop up where you will again highlight the first boot device, and use the arrow keys to change it to the cdrom drive. Hitting the Esc key will get you out of the window. Stick the XP cdrom in the drive, and reboot. Now you will get a window asking you to hit any key to boot from the cdrom.

To do a true clean install you will need to delete the partition of the original install, then repartition it and then install XP. Make sure you have the drivers necessary for the hardware you have in the computer. You can possibly do a repair install but i have done that many times and i don't always like the results i get. I seldom do repair installs anymore. It's just nicer to start out fresh with a original windows install.

http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp

SRX660