Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NO SOUND!

• Please log in to reply

nbugs

nbugs

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 and a few months ago the sound stopped working. I have called Dell and they said it can't be fixed, but i have my doubts, please help!

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Go to start, and right click the my computer link, then click properties, then go to the hardware tab and hit device manager- do you see any yellow question marks there? what did dell say and when did the sound go?

nbugs

nbugs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
There are no yellow question marks. Dell said that they sound card was screwed up, but every now and then i hear a few sounds briefly. Later they told me that i would have to get a brand new motherboard to fix the problem b/c the sound card was part of that. i have reformated many times and i think it was after one of these times that the sound went.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
well strictly speaking that isnt so even if, and it is a big if the sound card was messed u could get a pci one and disable the onboard soundcard in the bios.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Agreed with The one- just pick any PCI sound card up and before installing it, disable the onboard audio in your bios and then install with the drivers that came with the PCI Card :tazz:

nbugs

nbugs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Will this PCI card play the sound through my speakers or do i have to plug external speakers in it?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
is this a laptop? if so, you cant add a sound card. the sound is on the mobo, so your kinda screwed.
check your sound settings and see if the onboard sound is activated. control panel, sound and audio devices. audio tab, tell us what is listed for playback and recording devices. if nothing, are there any options to choose from?

nbugs

nbugs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The Device listed under playback is ESS Maestro 3. This is also the recording device. The MIDI music playback is Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth. Is there something wrong, I hope it is as easy as settings, thanks.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ok, so a device is operational for sound. again, is this a laptop? sound coming from speakers in the case?
was it ever taken apart?

nbugs

nbugs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It is a laptop, a dell inspiron 8000 and it had its motherboard replaced one month before the sound cut out, i don't hear anything anymore, i want to though, haha. I appreciate your help. Oh btw, the motherboard was replaced two weeks before the computer went out of warranty.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
urg. any chance the mobo replacement had a slightly extended warranty?
you could also try updating the drivers for the sound, it might help.

nbugs

nbugs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No extended warranty. Do you have a suggestion for a site to download the drivers. I've tried before, but obviously unsuccessfully.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
www.dell.com. go to service and support, downloads. use the dropdown menu to select your inspiron 8000, then select audio drivers. it will ask for OS, etc.
also try looking through their knowledgebase, it might have something relevant.
hopefully this will work, but since dell told you they know it has a problem, it might not...

vaisforlovers

vaisforlovers

• Pip
  • 2 posts
;) I, too, have Inspiron 8000 and my internal speaker sound went when I had to re-intstall the Dell Access Direct, for some reason. External speakers are fine, but hard to take with you. I am still learning computers and I have investigated this til I am blue in the face. :tazz: When I installed SP2, which I hate, the driver info for Maestro changed too, if I remember correctly and this time of nite that is doubtful. I just found this forum and gads, you can probably help me with that stupid services section. Sorry off the subject.

I downloaded a driver from Dell that they thought would fix problem, but I have lost it. (I have done so many "newbie" stupids).
BTP - since I don't know anything about sound cards etc. I assume that my sound is gone. I have done everything you suggested to the person who started this topic so is there anything to be done? In my case I think it is is something really stupid. Yes, the volume control is up!!!
Thanks for any help.
Joanne