Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 98 SE won't load Desktop

• Please log in to reply

geminis076

geminis076

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hello, I have 2 computers, this current issue is on our older computer: Windows 98 SE, Dell computer - I'm not sure what the model is, I don't see any info on the outside that looks like an obvious model number - I'll continue to look into it.

We pretty much only use it for typing business & legal documents, and use the newer one for internet access (long story, but my parents feel more comfortable using the older one). I tried to free up space because there is only about 1 gig of free space available, pretty full. I'm not an expert but did the few things I know about, did "disk clean-up" and "disk defrag", and removed old unused software and programs. I did do the "have Windows check for any errors" before all this mess happened, but I had to interrupt it, so it never finished checking.

Guess I must have deleted something important because things are now messed up. Something required a restart for the changes to take place. Before I restarted, I noticed I was not able to open some picture folders, instead it would display the folder's properties information - just as if I had right-clicked and selected properties.

When I restarted, the system had me re-set-up or re-register the Windows 98 information, asked for me to create a user name and enter the Microsoft Windows 98 SE product key info. Of course this has never happened before. After entering the info, an Explorer error message appeared stating: "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor."

The message is as far as the computer goes, does not finish loading, the desktop icons and lower toolbar never appear, right-clicking does not do anything, no menu appears. I then tried to restart the computer, I was no longer asked for the Set-up info, but after the black & white computer files and logs are displayed the Explorer error message is the only thing to appear. I tried to start the computer in Safe-Mode, after the computer explains that I'm currently in Safe-Mode and so on, the Explorer error message once again appears, and is the only thing to appear.

So basically, the computer turns on and starts, desktop wallpaper loads, then Explorer error message appears, I can close error message window, icons nor anything else ever appear or load. Same thing in Safe-Mode, though it seems I have more selection options before scrolling down to "start in Safe-Mode", but don't know what everything means. I can do the Alt + Ctrl + Delete command which is the only way I can shut-down, does not indicate that any programs are running. Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas? Didn't seem like I deleted anything important, tried to stick with names that were familiar, but I should have left things alone :) .

Thanks for any help or info.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Sounds like you removed a startup program that is still trying to start even thought the program or part of the program is missing.... however since this still does this in safe mode it would have to be a system file or a rogue program that registered itself as a system file.... one thing you could try is pulling one stick of memory out at a time and see if you still get the message.... ( assuming you have multiple sticks and they are not rambus ) Short of all that you may need to reinstall windows.... however if it is a rogue program you may have to reinstall from scratch and not just over the top....

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Can you do the following.

Start>shutdown>restart ms-dos. Type in scanreg/restore>enter and select an older copy of the registry when it worked ok.