Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Barebones Kits

• Please log in to reply

Raune

Raune

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Does anyone know of a decent source for buying a barebones kit? I've been away from things computer related for a few years and my computer is quickly dying. I'm hoping to make it last the next few weeks till I move, but it's getting tough...

Today I smoked the 3.5 floppy drive....don't even ask how. Suffice it to say that my computer looks like a rednecks. It's an ATX tower with no sides on it, laying on its side so that I could use the floppy (Which was laying loose on top of the case) because the case is tweaked out of shape. We have constant power outages up here so I have all sorts of software issues because the computer gets hard booted 10-15 times a week.....I finally had to strip it down to Explorer and Systray on start up and nothing else. And then there is the fact that the computer is 3 years old...

I do not want to go with Tiger Direct because that is where I originally bought this barebones kit from and it's been a nightmare. I've been through 3 power supplies, 3 video cards, 2 motherboards and God only knows what else in that time. I have never had this much trouble with hardware on any computer I've ever built and that goes back almost 15 years.

I'm not looking to put together anything special, just something reliable with 512MB RAM and maybe a 2GB processor. The case power supply is unimportant because if need be I can rob the 450 watt supply out of this one. The computer won't be used for any high end gaming or any other resource hogs, just basic internet usage and an occasional older game.

Advertisements

sevver

sevver

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Get a refurbished emachine from Tiger Direct they are good to use in your manner IMHO.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
You could build your own if you wanted for cheaper prices and parts and would save a bundle...if not check out www.newegg.com but if i were to personally buy a barebone, i think one from tigerdirect should be suffiencent- sry you had the bad egg :tazz: