Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

primay IDE chanel keeps setting it self to PIO mode

• Please log in to reply

MahatmaGandi

MahatmaGandi

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
i had an issue with computer slowness
and i found out that the IDE channel changed to PIO mode
so i uninstalled it to change it back to DMA transfer mode.
it was ok for a while but now it changes it self vary often and i dont know what is the problem.

thanks for any help !!!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Where is this change occuring, in windows or BIOS? You could have a failing CMOS battery.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The computer sets itself to PIO mode if six, or more, disk errors are registered. There is a reasonable chance that your hard disk is failing.

1: Backup your data.

2: Download the test utility from the disk's manufacturer site. Run Quick test and then complete test. If you want us to help you finding the tool please write the manufacturer's name.

3: Report the results.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Go HERE when you know the manufacturer.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for the link, Runner, I'll keep it for future use.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
your welcome.

MahatmaGandi

MahatmaGandi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i have a maxtor an i have no idea how to use the tests on the site you gave.

I would appreciate some instructions or help mi find another test program.

thanks so far!!!!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
On the link I gave you want to use the powermax v4.23. The 1st choice is for a floppy (if you have one). The 2nd choice for powermax v4.23 is for a cd. If all you have is a cd drive, then use that one. You need to make it bootable by using nero or another good one is "burncdcc"

Lets make this simpler yet. Seagate bought maxtor, so go HERE.

You can download seatools for windows. It installs and runs in the windows environment. Please be aware that disk activity will suspend the tests and cause the tests to take longer. I would close all programs and any running in the background such as scanners. Disconnect from the internet and close your virus scanner.

I would much prefer using seatools for dos and creating a bootable cd or floppy and then the program has exclusive use of the disk.

MahatmaGandi

MahatmaGandi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
well i did the tests and it past
so i think its not the hard disk!

maybe some other ideas?

i really appreciate the help!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
As The Skeptic mentioned, this is usually caused by data transfer errors from a device attached to the IDE channel that's being reset. Each IDE channel may have up to two devices attached (Device0 and Device1).

When you look in the Primary IDE channel properties, are there two devices installed on the channel? If so, is it Device0 or Device1 that's being reset to Programmed Input/Output mode?

As a side note, I have seen bad RAM cause this reset, as well. This is not common, however.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
My bookmark link to the most complete DMA/PIO info site I have found:

http://winhlp.com/node/10

Although mostly concerned with CD/DVD drives, the links and comments reveal additional resources for hard drives as well.

Please be aware that a hardware issue may be at root. In the case of the hard drive, the issue may also be with the connectors and cables.

MahatmaGandi

MahatmaGandi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
the device0 is being reset to PIO mode.

and i dont think its the RAM because its new and it still resets it self!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's some very good information, 1101doc...thanks!

Have a look at the link 1101doc provided and see if anything in there applies to your situation. I had forgotten about the 40 pin IDE cables also causing this.

MahatmaGandi

MahatmaGandi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
first of all thanks for the article!!!
now i know what could be the reasons,
but in the article it doesnt say how to test for problems.

il try a new cable but for everything else (???????).

thank you all. :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Going back to your first post my impression is that you have a hardware problem which gradually worsen. It could be in some places in the computer, all related to data transfer. That can mean RAM, chipset, bus (less likely) and hard disk. It could also mean a Windows problem.

1: Download memtest86 from the link below, follow the instructions and create a bootable CD. Run the test at least for an hour and see if there are any errors.

2: Download and install HDTtune from the link below. Run it and report Average data transfer for the entire test. After the test is finished go to Health and check that everything is marked OK. Now run Error Scan.

3: Disconnect the power, open the box and take out the CMOS battery for about 15 minutes. Following Tyger's idea, use a voltmeter to test the battery. It should show above 3 volt. If less, replace the battery. This will reset the BIOS. Set time and date again to eliminate error message upon startup.