Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locked out of BIOS

• Please log in to reply

SlimXero

SlimXero

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm working on a computer for a friend, and she does not know the password to the bios. I need access to the bios to change the boot sequence (for some reason F12 is not working at this time, i've repaired this laptop before no problems) so that i can boot an XP installation disk. I've contacted Acer directly, and they refuse to assist us as the laptop was sold through Best Buy and referred us to them. When i contacted Best Buy corporate and got a hold of Geek Squad, i got a non-geek who had no idea what i was talking about. I called the local store and the rep i talked to said they could fix it, but it would need to be shipped off to a repair center for 2-4 weeks, and this is conveniently not covered in her warranty. Is there anyway i can clear the password off the EEPROM, or will i need to either send it in to have it repaired or purchase a new motherboard for the system? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I am not sure if giving info on bios reset is against the terms of service. So till someone else verifies, all I will say is "google is your buddy".

Sorry

SlimXero

SlimXero

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i've spent the last 2 days googling, and the standard solutions don't work on laptops. CMOS battery doesn't reset it, cmospwd doesn't return anything, etc.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

I am not sure if giving info on bios reset is against the terms of service. So till someone else verifies, all I will say is "google is your buddy".

Sorry

Hello SlimXero

BIOS or Operating System's passwords are there for the purpose related to Security and Privacy to protect the legitimate owner of a machine. While there are many locations on the Internet that might help you learn about managing passwords for a machine's BIOS or Operating System, we at G2G do not assist in what amounts to hacking past a machine's Security and Privacy safeguards.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests.

123Runner you are correct.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 06 September 2008 - 05:43 PM.

SlimXero

SlimXero

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks much for the help, we were able to find out the password finally. Turns out when she bought it, it was a display model. Called the local Best Buy and they gave us the password and a sincere apology for leaving it on there. Thanks again.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Glad you got it taken care of, and thanks for letting us know.