Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer overheating

• Please log in to reply

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi I downloaded speed fan and the two fans are staying around 40-42 degress C. How are those temperature's? Forgot to say that is the support page for my computer. Don't have a digital camera to upload picture. I have two fans. And they are in the back of the tower or if you open it and it it facing you they are on the right hand side. My fans are blowing on the right side.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well 40C isn't so bad, but 60 I wouldn't be happy with.

The idea with the case fans is to have the airflow from front to back. They all should be blowing toward the rear of the case.

How dirty is the inside? Have you done any cleaning yet?

Troy

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I have not done any cleaning. It is very dirty. They are towards the rear. Also when I opened it to add ram there was so much dust like globs together. I want to clean it. Do you know a good website to buy it and which one to buy. Because I have read posts and you do a very good job. So would you mind recommending me which one I get? THANKS for all your help so far. You are very helpful and giving me a lot of info.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Do you mean a place to get yourself more RAM, or a place to get things for cleaning the PC?

For cleaning just follow the instructions we gave on the last page.

For RAM go to crucial.com and they have a tool to check what memory is compatible with your system, write down the specs of the amount of memory you want it to be upgraded to based on the info from the site and look in other places for cheaper memory with the same spec in other shops like Newegg or Tiger direct.

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Things for cleaning your pc like compressed air. Thanks for all your help so far both of you.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

You should be able to find a can of compressed air from your local hardware store. Just explain to them you need it to clean the insides of your computer, so it's important there's no moisture in the can.

A small, soft-bristled brush can be found from a number of places, possibly the hardware store could again help you.

And I hope you have a vacuum cleaner (and know how to use it)! :)

Cheers

Troy

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Ok thanks for your references Troy. Thanks for all your help so far both of you. I will respond when I get the stuff. Also I had another question could you help me with this one? It is I want to buy a new computer and was curious about the comptability with a mac operating system and xp. Some info. I wanted on dual booting. Is the mac operating system comptable with microsoft office 07. Could you tell me if you can help with this or what? If so tell you exactly what I am looking for.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

Office 2007 will not work on a Mac computer, you will need to purchase the Mac equivalent - "Office 2008 for Mac".

I'm actually posting this from the university lab, which has all Apple computers that dual-boot the Mac OS or Windows XP (you choose right at the beginning of the bootup process). I'm not sure how they've done it, but it works fine.

If you wanted Office 2007 to work, you'd need to install it on a Windows operating system.

Cheers

Troy

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can make an apple computer run XP or Vista however it is much harder to go the other way. Apple restrict OSX so it will only run if it detects the presence of a special chip and only on there specific hardware setups. You can now get a special device that hooks into a USB header on the board and if you have the same hardware as in a mac you can then run OSX on a normal computer.

To be honest it isn't worth the hassle as you don't really gain anything from using OSX unless it has a piece of software in it you really want to use and you don't like the windows or linux equivalents. OSX is a nice novelty but it can't really do anything unique that can't be done in windows or linux one way or another. Also price was you are better with a normal PC, its allot cheaper and you get more choice.

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Thanks for the your information. Can you run an apple computer with microsoft office 07? I wanted to make and edit videos. Also I wanted to do a lot with digital pictures. Wanted a big hard drive, good graphics card, software for video things, big hard drive, quick computer, and software for digital pictures. Could you get a computer with all of this on it and would windows vista ultimate do video and digital picture things?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Of course you could get a Windows machine to do those things, there are more apps for that kind of thing for windows than there is for a mac although some people argue mac has better software for it in the iLife suite allot of that is personal opinion and while its good software its not definitively the best if you look at this list for example http://www.jakeludin...or_windows.html it shows you the differences aren't huge and there actually ALOT more apps that can do those things in windows than are mentioned in the list.

Like Troy said you can't get 07 office on a mac but they have a comparable version for mac called office 2008 which is office redone for macs it just took them a year to do it thus the 2008 instead of 2007.

Hardware wise you will get better with a PC than you would a mac so that's not an issue, in terms of digital photos it depends on what you want to do, proper photo editing is an expensive hobby the software for either mac or PC can cost as much as the computer and have a steep learning curve. If you want to just mess around there are usually apps provided with the cameras or cut down apps that have some of the features of the professional big brothers so you can get a cut down version of photoshop. If you want to get serious windows and linux machines can run the GIMP which is a free version of a photoshop like app but its designed for professionals so you would need to learn how to use it and there is always picasa which was mentioned in the link above that is free and good for the basics.

Similar goes with video editing, you can get software with the cameras and there are software packages made by other people that are good but again cost and whether or not you need all the features of a fully fledged video editing suite. Again we are talking steep learning curves if you want to do it seriously but if its just a dabble you want windows actually has windows Movie maker which is actually quite decent and designed for amateurs.

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I am not getting a new computer my freind is and I am helping them. But they wanted a mac with xp. But I said a pc would do the same and is cheaper. So I will tell them that is mostly programs and not the operating system. Also videos were just starting for them and a beginner so movie maker for windows would work perfect. And you could just get a decent picture software for them and there set. And wouldn't windows vista ulitimate be fine. And have they fixed most of the errors with vista with updates and service pack one? Here is a link for a computer I was looking for them. Is this specs good and does it look good for basic video editing and medium level digital pictures and photos.
http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1213046785694

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have to admit the specs on that notebook computer don't look too bad at all.

I always recommend a desktop over a notebook if there's no need for the portability, as a home-built desktop will easily out-perform a similarly priced notebook.

Cheers

Troy

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Yes Troy I would to but the person does need to take it different places. So that person is going to need a laptop due to the moving around of it so much. But, do those specs look fine for some beginner video editing and some digital picutres things. Would it be at quick speed do you think? The review average was unbeleivable at 4.8 out of 5.0. Then you could upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate for 69 dollars. Becuase that would have more features she could use. Does that sound good? Thanks for all your help so far both of you.

Edited by heat123, 20 September 2008 - 07:55 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I should think those specs would be fine for a beginner video editer. It won't be the fastest, but at that price it looks to be a pretty decent deal.

What Vista Ultimate extras do you need to justify the upgrade? Here is a list of the differences, in case you're wondering.

And like I said, if the portability is needed, then go for it! :)

Cheers

Troy