Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer overheating

• Please log in to reply

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Thanks for that info I posted in the other operatings system yesterday. I hope someone will respond soon. If I have any more windows pc questions I will ask you. Thanks for all your help so far.

Advertisements

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi Troy thanks for all your help so far. I had a few questions about getting ram. One was I have two slots for ram and one is filled. It is made my nano. I was looking at 512 mb of crucial for 20.00. Would different companies making the ram make a difference or cuase a problem? Also I was looking at a new hard drive with more space. Would you have to reformat or could you just transfer your data etc without reformatting. I was looking for a total upgrade of around $200.00. Would you upgrade or get a new computer? It is a Dell Dimension 2400 series desktop about 5 years old.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

It depends on how much you wish to spend in total. For total of $200 then you should just upgrade the existing system.

You could purchase a new hard drive and then create an image of the hard drive and clone it over. A program that will do this nicely for you is Acronis True Image Home.

RAM is an interesting question, sometimes it will work fine and other times they decide not to play nice together. I always give the benefit of the doubt and recommend only using the same type of RAM together. I suggest grabbing one set of 2x 512MB Crucial RAM in a matched set to make a total of 1GB and not use the other one.

Let me know what you think of these suggestions.

Cheers

Troy

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
For the hard drive thing I don't quite understand what you are trying to say. Like you don't install it and create a image or what and use it or whatever. Could you try to help me with your explanation because I don't understand it really. For ram thats what I was looking to do but I was going to buy one and use it and keep my other one in there. But one would be nano and one would be crucial. So from what you said I will buy two new crucial ones 512 mb. each. Here is a link to them. How do you think about them?
http://crucial.com/s...7A521C5A5CA7304

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That Crucial looks pretty good. I like Crucial memory, they make great-quality RAM. :)

Another brand I like is Kingston. Here is Newegg selling a 2x 512MB matched set for cheaper than two of those Crucial sticks.

Just saving you a few $$$.

Troy

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi thanks for all your help so far Troy. I said I didn't understand the hard drive clone and picture thing so could you explain it or give me a link with some information about cloning a hard drive and the picture thing. Also what brand do you like better overall kingston or crucial. Also the ddr of kingston is 333 and crucial is 400. Would you still get kingston with the big difference in the ddr. Or is that not a big diffrence. Also the kingston is out of stock and its estimated availability is not until October 13, 2008.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

You're right - I forgot to explain about an image. :) Sorry!

An image is an exact replica of everything on your hard drive (or other location). So when you clone a hard drive, the cloning program makes an image and copies that image over exactly as it found it, meaning the end result should be the same.

For RAM, I chose the 333 RAM because I got confused and was searching through the Crucial's "Search All Compatible Modules" section... PC-3200 (400) is faster RAM, so we'll go for this one. Sorry again! This A-DATA set has nice-looking red heatsinks, and a lifetime warranty. :)

I would not one over the other, to answer your other question. Both Crucial and Kingston make excellent products. (As do A-DATA).

I'm glad you ask lots of questions, I can't believe that slipped me. :)

Cheers

Troy

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
So you first would install it then you would go start your computer and use that software to clone it over. Is installing a hard drive that hard? Also could you try to find me a good one? Remember my computer is a Dell Dimension 2400 series. Also I want one with more than 100 gb. Thanks for all your help so far. And don't worry about messing up on those things. And are you telling me you would go with crucial for ram?

Edited by heat123, 09 October 2008 - 03:18 AM.