Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need advice on video cards

• Please log in to reply

Moose78

Moose78

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 4600, I'm on a budget and I'm working with what I got. I recently bumped the ram up to 3 GB of ram, it has a Pentium 4 2.8 ghz processor. I'm currently running a e-geforce fx-5200 video card and was wondering what available options there would be for an older system such as this.

Also, current state, would I be able to play something like world of warcraft or call of duty??

Edited by Moose78, 07 September 2008 - 03:45 PM.

Advertisements

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
And can I use pci cards on this mobo, or strictly agp??

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You're running exactly what I have. This was the fastest card I found that I thought would not exceed the power supply rating. If you want to go past 8x you will need to get a system that supports PCI-e, then you will have a wide choice of faster cards.

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I found an e geforce fx-6200 abg ddr 8x card that I believe will work

evga geforce 6200 256mb agp 8x video card

And I'm definitely looking to upgrade, just gotta wait till first part of '09, since the Holiday season is fast approaching, some stuff will be on X-mas wish list though :)

Edited by Moose78, 10 September 2008 - 05:24 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can get plenty of AGP cards, or at least if not plenty a decent enough selection as ATI still make AGP cards for some of the older generation cards(2600s and 3850) and Nvidia pretty much gave up on AGP after the 7 series.

Its the power supply that is the issue, it won't be very powerful and when you top it off with the fact that you pay a premium for AGP cards now due to the rarity its just not worth it when you want to upgrade in less than 6 months. A 6200 is also still not very good and would struggle with games of any type. It might manage WoW it can be played with pretty low spec hardware but a 6200 would be lucky if it would play CoD 2 let alone anything newer than that.