Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple programs "encountering problems and needing to close&quo

• Please log in to reply

camandkarmasmom

camandkarmasmom

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
It started with Adobe Acrobat not opening and getting the error message that the program has encountered a problem and needs to close. Found a solution to that problem saying to create a new user on the computer. Tried getting into user accounts and got the same error message that it encountered a problem and needed to close. Usually use firefox browser but tried getting into IE to see if a windows update would help and got the same message when trying to open IE. Recently did a disk clean up and defrag but no changes recently. Someone please help. I need my adobe acrobat to work!!

Thanks,
Amanda

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Hi camandkarmasmom and Welcome! to Geeks-to-Go!

It rather sounds like you've got something going on in the background that is consuming too many of the system's resources for other things to work properly. We need to discover what it is.

Sysinternals free Process Explorer is very helpful: http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx
No install required, just run it in place.

Once you have it, use the "view" menu to "Select Columns" and choose "CPU Time" from "Process Performance" and "Working Set Size" from "Process Memory." Then click the column header for CPU Time. The processes will organize according to the time that they have been using the processor. Make note of the top 5 or so. Then click Working Set Size. This will sort by the most memory intensive. Again, what are the top 5?

Many folks have been having trouble with Acrobat Reader. For a smaller light-weight PDF reader try Foxit: http://www.foxitsoft...df/rd_intro.php

camandkarmasmom

camandkarmasmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Top 5 CPU Time - SystemIdleProcess, firefox.exe, svchost.exe, TeaTimer.exe, Apoint.exe
Top 5 Working Set - firefox.exe, avgrsx.exe, TeaTimer.exe, svchost.exe, explorer.exe

Thank you so much for your help!

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Tea timer is a function of Spybot with which many have had problems in the past. As a full-time anti-malware client about its only real recommendation is that it is free. Spybot does a good job of scanning, but I think if you disable Tea Timer from the Spybot program interface, you will have a happier computer.

Apoint is a special program for your laptop's touchpad. It does not need to run full time either. Disable it with your startup control program. If you do not have one, I highly recommend WinPatrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/

camandkarmasmom

camandkarmasmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Okay. I got rid of SpyBot all together and disabled Apoint. Still getting the same message when trying to open Adobe acrobat...

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I suggest that if Acrobat is the only app. giving the message, it is the problem. Do try the Foxit reader for a while. I have never heard anyone complain about problems with it.

Hint: If you just do not like all the toolbars at the top of Foxit, open the "View" menu, slide down to "Toolbars," and just to the right when it opens check "Hide Toolbars." Gives you lots more screen "real estate," and all the functions are available from drop-downs on the main menu anyway. Those of us who mostly use it for just reading PDFs often don't need/want all those choices right up front all the time.

I gave up on Adobe Acrobat over a year ago and went exclusively with Foxit. It works on everything that Acrobat does and consumes far fewer resources. It also is not prone to the security problems inherent in Acrobat.

One other thing- If you are using AVG 8.0 and have it set to employ the "link scanner," it will consume much more of the system's resources than it will without it. Firefox and Opera both have built-in site verification anyway, and for IE it is available either as an add-on or with the IE7 Pro extension.