Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reusing this old Dell case. Is it a micro ATX? -see pics

• Please log in to reply

acgolf

acgolf

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'd like to reuse this case from a Dell Demesion 4500. It's a cool case but I'm not sure if I can get an ATX MB in it. The MB measures 9 7/8" x 8 5/8". The tray the MB sits in measures 11" x 10". The entire case is 16 1/2" tall. I looked on the MB and couldn't see atx or maxt anywhere. It does have E210882 and N232 stamped on it. Here is a link to the Dell info but also doesn't specify atx or matx. Here are the photos-

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dells of this type are non-standard in most areas and the cases are designed to take only the Dell board they come with. Typically the mounting points are fixed in unique places which put paid to trying to use the case with another board as you'll short it out immediately.

The typical dimensions of an ATX board are 12" wide by 9.6" deep (305mm x 244mm) whereas MicroATX boards are typically 9.6" square.

You'll be lucky if you can get any other board in a Dell case. Not worth the effort when you can get a new standard size case for near enough next to nothing.

Edited by Neil Jones, 07 September 2008 - 03:21 AM.

acgolf

acgolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
How about a Hewlett Packard case? I have a a1330n which has a micro ATX board. Could I use that without any compatibility issues?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The HP you might have more luck with but most OEM cases have some nonstandard front panel connections which make it hard to hook things up.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I'll take a look when I get to work on Monday.