Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wants to know if everything goes well with each other

• Please log in to reply

dooms982

dooms982

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi I just want to know if everything I pick will go well together since im new at this and if I can get something better for a better price please tell...

here's the link:

http://gonecrazy-doomy.blogspot.com/

im going with the SATA drive

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo, dooms982!

First of all I want to ask you, what are your uses for this computer? Do you know how to overclock? And what is your budget? There's a few things I would personally change to save some money but would like to know your answers above first.

Kamille

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Thanks for the welcome.

Im going to be using this system for Maya, adobe software; and maybe for games,but still want to be able to play them if I can. As for my budget it would be under $2000. I don't know how to overclock but and I think I won't do it to this system yet. What would you recommend. Thanks for you help and responds. Yes I would like to know my answer first,thanks.

Doom

Edited by dooms982, 08 September 2008 - 02:48 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I suggest going with this build:

Asus P5Q Pro - $139.99
This comes with IEEE 1394a port, if you ever need it. Getting the expensive motherboard is not going to benefit you, you'll only be wasting money. You have to check if you're going to take advantage of the features of the ASUS Maximus Extreme like 2 PCI-e slots (speed of x16 each), good overclocking board, etc. Since you're not a big gamer, you'll only be using one PCI-E slot and you already mentioned you're not overclocking.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 - $324.99
Since we're saving a bit of money from the motherboard, I think this will benefit you more.

G.SKILL 2x2GB PC2-8500 - $109.99
I believe that DDR3 RAM is a waste of money right now and DDR2 would be the way to go.

Corsair 750W - $129.99
There's no need for a 1000W power suply, this would be more than enough.

Western Digital 150GB VelociRaptor 10000RPM - $189.99
Raptors are so expensive, I think you should just split up your hard drive in two instead of buying the higher capacity Raptor. Use this 150GB for your OS and then buy a Western Digital 640GB ($84.99) for your files.

EVGA 9800GX2 - $289.99
I didn't change this one from your build.

Samsung DVD-Drive - $27.99
I'm not familiar with Lightscribe (if that's what you needed), but I've always trusted Pioneer and Samsung.

For the OS, I think you should go with Vista Home Premium 64-bit so that you'll be able to use more than 4GB of RAM, however I suggest you search around if the programs you use will work with 64-bit.

You should just stick with the stock heatsink/fan for your CPU as it is more than enough for your needs. You'll only need an aftermarket heatsink if you're overclocking.

You can stay with the computer case that you selected, just make sure its big enough for your video card and other components. The 9800GX2 is about 10.5" long.

Total comes to $1467.90

Hope that helps.
Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 09 September 2008 - 02:52 PM.

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Well Thanks For your help, Im very Thankful, As for the OS im going to stay with 32 Bit since the software I have is 32 bit and its gong to be expensive just to buy the software Again, but I will soon as when I need it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The 64bit operating systems are back compatible, 32bit apps work just as well with them as they do on a 32bit system and a 32 bit OS will not see all of your memory. Its something to think about, you shouldn't need to buy any software for the system other than the new OS everything should be transferable to the new machine.

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Thanks, Then I will go with 64 bit OS since it is compatible then.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Definately the way to go with the 64bit OS. I just noticed the gfx card, you might want to consider a 48xx ATI card, smaller size and less heat in the system and just if not more powerful than the GX2, if having CUDA support on a GPU isn't important to you then ATI is a bit better.

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
No I don't do any programming so i'll see the gfx card that you suggested.

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
OK I found these two:

VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 Video

And

SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850

But would these work good with a intel Processor even if was made by AMD company. if I where to put two screens on one GFX card would that slow it down or would coz small problems?

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
The HD 4850 should be suffient for your needs and yes it will work. The CPU has nothing to do with the GFX card.
However, I suggest going with a different company than Sapphire as I've heard they don't have too great customer suppport. Anything other than sapphire would be much better.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Thanks, Then I will go with 64 bit OS since it is compatible then.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any scanners, printers, fax machines or other devices connected to your computer?
If you do, can you list their model number here.
James

Edited by james_8970, 11 September 2008 - 01:43 PM.

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I don't have any scanners, printers, fax machines connected to my computer, but when I need one I'll go and get one. Do only certain models work with vista?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are buying new they most likely will, its just older or less popular pieces of hardware don't always have a working 64-bit driver. The list of incompatible hardware isn't that big these days and MS have good generic drivers for allot of older hardware that work quite well. You should always check if its Vista compatible before you buy but they do stick the Vista compatible logo on almost all new electronics hardware these days to make it easy.

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

The HD 4850 should be suffient for your needs and yes it will work. The CPU has nothing to do with the GFX card.
However, I suggest going with a different company than Sapphire as I've heard they don't have too great customer suppport. Anything other than sapphire would be much better.

Yeah I heard about that So i'll go with the other one then.