Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two Ethernet Connections Simultaneously?

• Please log in to reply

onetimeuseonly

onetimeuseonly

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I just moved to college, only to learn that the Bradford client I have to download to my computer does not support wireless routers, which prevents me from creating my own wireless network in my room. Therefore, I must plug the ethernet connection in my room directly into my computer instead of the router.
Unfortunately, I need to be able to access my wireless printer that's across the room, so I figured I would use my first ethernet port for the college's ethernet connection in my room, and I would plug the second ethernet port into my wireless router so that I can access my wireless printer.

When I enable both ethernet ports, I lose internet capability, presumably because my computer wants to access the nonexistent internet through the router. Is there a way to restrict my computer to accessing the internet through only one of the ethernet ports and using the other just to access the wireless network and printer? Or, is there a way to force my Bradforce client to allow the usage of wireless routers? Thank you so much for your help!

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Hi there.

What's a Bradford client? A VPN client software of some sort? BTW: You mentioned Bradford and Bradforce. Which is it?

Two Ethernet Connections Simultaneously?, One for internet and the other to a wireless router

Yes there is a way to do this. Let's do these first.

Make sure that your wireless network (the network where your printer is) have static IP's not DHCP (for now). For your computer, if you don't have any DNS server that you are required to use, then use your Internet router as your DNS server. And make sure that you are using IP's from different subnets for each network. For example, have 192.168.x.x for your Internet and 172.16.x.x for your wireless.

onetimeuseonly

onetimeuseonly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I apologize for my err in spelling. The Bradford Client Security Agent from Bradford Networks, Inc. is installed on your computer and scans your computer and its network capabilities to ensure your computer is properly configured for network internet use; it also ensures you are a member of the network by asking for a login and password. In some cases, it may reconfigure your computer and network for you. It's a small piece of software, but it must be running as a process to access the network.

I'm waiting for a work-order to fix the ethernet cables in my room, so I'll let you know as soon as I get the chance to configure the network. Thanks!