Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Laptop failing at startup

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My wife's laptop is having some major issues. It started by randomly BSODing while sitting idle, and since then has continued to fail at startup each time it is loaded. Safe Mode will work *most* of the time, but even then it still fails sometimes. It will also start up after a System Restore, but then fails either while you are using it or after trying to shut down and restart. I ran chkdsk from the Recovery Console and it found and fixed a few errors, also removed some (negligible) spyware. Didn't seem to fix anything, however. Most often it fails right after the Windows XP loading splash screen, but it seems to happen anywhere else too at random.

Its a DELL Inspiron MXC051 (630m) running Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition, SP2 with 512 MB RAM. 3 years old.

Here's a sampling of the various errors that come up, just while I've been typing this post...

STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8215F788, 0x8215F8FC, 0x805FA428)

STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error

(Just starting up now, it booted okay, but has now come up with "Error while unpacking program, code LP5. Please report to author")

There are many others, but these come up often. Help would be appreciated!