Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random shut down

• Please log in to reply

kzov

kzov

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Ive built the computer just a little over a year ago (I built the comp sept 6 , 2007)

The darn thing seems to be randomly shutting off. Like someone went behind there and pulled the plug from the psu.

Ive tried :

Taking the parts out, visiually inspecting them.
Usuing canned air, dusting everything off.
Re-seating the heatsink onto the cpu with a fresh coat of thermal grease compound
Taking out one stick of RAM at a time to see if its ram related.
Replacing the psu with a brand new right out of the box 550Watt
replacing the CMOS battery for kicks and giggles

I am at a loss for what to do. It started about a week ago. I left it on for 2 days straight without doing anything ( I went camping and forgot about it) came home that sunday, turned it off, came back monday, and it started doing this. Ive got a third party cooler on the CPU artic cooler 64.

My specs are

DFI Lan-Party UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G Motherboard
Kingston 2gb RAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Foxconn FV-N79SM2D2-OC GeForce 7900GS 256MB PCIE

Edited by kzov, 07 September 2008 - 11:08 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Is your system actually shutting off and staying off or is it rebooting?
If it's shutting off completely, are you able to power it back on ok straight away?
If it's rebooting, can you go into the system applet in control panel, then Advanced -> startup/recovery settings & clear the 'automatically restart' checkbox.

Have you checked the cpu temperatures anyway? If so, what are they?

Can you check the event logs to see if anything is appearing in there each time this happens?

Is there any pattern to the shutdowns? i.e do they seem to happen only after the system has been on for while? Do they seem to happen more when using certain applications?

This is a long shot but have you tried restoring the system (with system restore) back to a time prior to this problem starting?

Another long shot - do you have up-to-date firewall & anti-virus/anti-spyware software running? Have you run scans for both malware and viruses?

kzov

kzov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The temps ( when I could actually read them) were in the 30's or 40's C in bios.

I tried re-seating everything in case of short circut and nothing indiviually failed, but all together I couldnt get the monitor to come on, and the harddrive and cd rom arent working.

Malware isnt an isssue, nor is virus.

The computer is not restarting, its shutting off like someone pulled the plug.

I can however, immediatly turn it back on.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Is your hard drive and CDROM etc working now?

ahorner

ahorner

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I had the same problem before, the switch in my PSU was shorting out, so I just soldered the connection directly (NOT RECOMMENDED!!!).