Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! XP wont boot!

• Please log in to reply

callard

callard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi all, and firstly thank you for looking!

Right today I've had my computer on all day like everyday.

Went to copy a CD with Nero 7 (was copying a music CD and once Nero had copied I was going to burn to a CD of my own) but I hit the switch of the wall socket and my computer turned off...

So I turned the plug socket back on, fired up my computer, only to find that Windows wont boot (get to the XP slash screen and just stays there with the loading bar going but dosnt boot.

I've tried Safe Mode and Last Known Good Config but they both do the same thing, I even put in my bootable XP cd to do a repair so I put the CD booted from CD comes up with that Windows XP setup blue screen thing the at the bottom it tells you what its doing.

Well it gets to Setup is Starting Windows and just hangs, like when its trying to boot...

So how do I fix this lol I'm flat out of idea's I also have alot of data on there I dont want to loss.

Cheers to anyone that can help :)

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Clear the BIOS by doing this:Disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error or some other message. If you do, enter BIOS and set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot. Most desktops will boot into BIOS by clicking Delete or F2 keys immediately after switching on. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS (Setup). You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button. If you don't, press the Pause/Break key immediately after startup to freeze the first screen. Now you should be able to see what keys to press.

If still no good take out the disk and attach it to another computer as slave. While there, run check-disk by doing this:
Click my Computer > right-click the icon of the attached disk > properties > tools > error checking > check now > check the two boxes > click Start. Reboot the computer to enable the process.