Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router malfunction

• Please log in to reply

GeeJayBee

GeeJayBee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G Wireless Router. For 2 years it ran perfectly fine and all of a sudden it started malfunctioning. It connects for 10 seconds the disconnects for 10 seconds, cycling continuously. When connected , all the lights are steady green, when disconnected, all the lights are erratically flashing green.
I powered down the router, rebooted the computer, and re-powered the router and same results. I reset the router (paperclip trick) and it ran fine for about 30 minutes, then the malfunction started up again. All these tests were done on an HP Media Center PC desktop, wired to the router. I also tried my Dell laptop with Windows Vista Business (wireless) which always ran fine before as well but it too gave the same result.
I connected my cable modem directly to the desktop and it runs fine.
I suspect that my router died. Can anyone confirm this, or is there an easy fix?

Advertisements

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello GeeJaBee,

From the sounds of it the only thing left for you to try is to upgrade the firmware. Go to d-link's website and download the latest firmware. You may have to log on to the interface for the router and point the router to the downloaded file. In a DI-624 this is done by going to Tools>Firmware but your interface may be a little different.

If the firmware does not do the trick then you are looking at a new one. :)

However if this fixes the issue at least to the computers directly connected to the router, we can look at improving the stability, and connectivity to the wireless computers.

Good luck!