Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display fades to white and flickers

• Please log in to reply

cardo71

cardo71

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi, just got computer fixed and cleaned through your malware removal section and was referred here for this issue. On boot-up the pc goes to the Dell startup screen, then flickers and fades to white, flashes a blinking cursor, then flickers and fades twice before coming to the windows logo screen. Windows finishes loading, it fades once more then comes to the password screen. From here everything starts as normal. When playing pc games, the screen flickers to white on startup and during loading from the options menu. Once in the game, performance is normal. Upon exiting it flickers to white once more before shutdown of the game. When going to screensaver or shutting down the monitor, the white screen stays displayed instead. I have a 22" Westinghouse multifunctional plug and play monitor and ATI Raedon X300 video card installed on a Dell Dimension 8400. The only components I've added to this system are more ram memory and an 802.11g Wireless Cardbus and PCI adapter. Any information in regards to this problem is greatly appreciated. :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try a different monitor that you know is working. This sounds like an issue with the monitor.

cardo71

cardo71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yes, it does appear to be a monitor issue, I tested a different monitor and there was no fading to white. This monitor is only a little over a year old. Could be in the settings? or possibly a compatibility issue with windows xp? Its a plug and play monitor. My monitor hooks up through my video card. Could it possibly be compatibility issue between the Raedon x300 and the Westinghouse 22" LCM-22w2? If there is anything that can be done, please let me know. Thanx for your time.

Edited by cardo71, 08 September 2008 - 06:58 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the monitor's in warranty (most TFTs/flatscreens have three years), send it back. Or buy a new monitor. For the cost its not worth messing around with.