Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup Prompt

• Please log in to reply

SKousik

SKousik

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Every time I boot up my computer, I am prompted in an MSDOS sort of format (before the XP skin loads) to press F1 to go to setup or F2 to continue, and the computer waits at this point until I press either button. I can't think of a way to describe it in more detail, but the point is that I can't turn my computer on, walk away, and then come back and have it booted up completely. I would be eternally thankful if someone could figure this out...

EDIT! Also, I've been cleared by the malware forum.

Edited by SKousik, 07 September 2008 - 04:07 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello SKousik...

Have you reset the CMOS or set the BIOS defaults recently?

Sounds like it's holding on a BIOS error. Restart and when you get to that prompt, press F1 to access the BIOS Setup. Once in the BIOS, look under the Boot heading for something on the order of "Halt on all errors" or "Wait for 'F1' if error" and change the setting to Disabled. Press F10 to save the change.

In some BIOS versions, this setting is tucked away in a subheading like "Boot Settings Configuration" or "Boot Configuration". so if you don't see it right away, look around a bit.

I may be able to pinpoint the location if you were to provide me with your BIOS type and version.

wannabe1

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have also seen this error due to a cmos battery needing replacement.

Is your system clock losing time?

SKousik

SKousik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The system clock isn't losing time, so I'll check in the settings next time I boot up... Thank you for now, and possible another thank you in the future.!