Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with DVD drive

• Please log in to reply

caramellodream

caramellodream

• Pip
  • 5 posts
What does missing codecs mean? My DVD drive no longer plays DVDs and says that the player is missing necessary codecs. I don't understand, as it was working fine previously. Can anyone explain what it means? thanks.

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Iam Not staff here at geekstogo , Just a member like you however i may be able to help you out...

Definitions of Codecs on the Web:

Any type of format used to compress a file to a smaller size. MP3 and WMA are examples of codecs.
www.samsung.com/me/microsite/myguide/about/glos001.asp

A codec is a device or program capable of performing encoding and decoding on a digital data stream or signal. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codecs

Windows Essentials Codec Pack is a collection of audio and video DirectShow codecs and filters. With Windows Essentials Codec Pack you should be able to play 99% of all movies and music files that you download off the Internet, stay up to date with the latest codecs with the Audio/Video Codec Update Service, and eliminate the many conflicts and errors caused by using multiple codecs to decode the same file types.

Windows Essentials Codec Pack is designed as a user-friendly near complete solution for all your video and audio needs, with it you can play audio CDs, DVDs, (S)VCDs, and XCDs on the fly, and it adds support for 3GP, AAC, AC3, APE, AVI, DivX, 3ivx, DAT, h.264, x264, Nero Digital, DTS, FLV, FLAC, HD-MOV, MPEG-1/2, M4A, MP3, MP4, MO3, MOD, MKV, OFR, TTA, OGG/OGM, S3M, Vorbis, VOB, XviD, XM, WV, and UMX formats so you could play any video/audio file with your favorite DirectShow media player or with the (included) Media Player Classic.

hope this helps you out

If you wish to download, the decoder pack can be found at ( Below link )

http://www.download....4-10662709.html

Windows Essentials Media Codec Pack 1 ( File size is 8.18MB )
License: Free
Downloads: 3,198,560
Requirements: Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003 Server/Vista ( Your OS is compatible )
Limitations: No limitations ( Not a " Trail " , so its yours forever at no cost )

Simply click the above link, and you should be able to download the setup / installation package from there
Windows media player classic is included in the setup / Installation package ( no need for windows media player to already be installed or any other software )

Good luck and i hope this " Method " will resolve your Issue/Problem arising

Anthony

Edited by Anthony19, 18 September 2008 - 03:52 AM.

caramellodream

caramellodream

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey thanks Anthony, you have really gone out of your way. I will check those links out. Have a great day.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
You are Welcome

I try help where ever i am able to...

get back to us a.s.a.p and let us know how you go

Good luck resolving the topic / issue

Anthony