Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 Beeps and nothing

• Please log in to reply

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I have an old gateway system Intel (Monterrey) Motherboard - 1.3-GHz R0 . Plug it in and I turn on and get 3 beeps and nothing. Everythig I read says keyboard error. No post on screen or anyhting. Hooked HD up to my othersystem and tried formating it but win install didn't see it. So I booted my other system up with that drive as secondary drive and formatted it that way. Then tried to load XP on it but it still won't see it in install as disk? I thought it might be viedo problem because nothing comes up during post. I don't have another card that will fit to test it so I can't try it. Then thought mempry but it uses PC800 and don't have any more of that ram to put in. PC800 64-MB 128Bit 400/100 RIMM, RIMM Continuity Module (C-RIMM). I cracked case and ram was originally in banks R1,2 and I put in R0 and R1.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Three beeps is usually memory error.
Computers beep for only one reason - they can't output anything so you have a beep system telling you what's wrong.

RIMM memory needs to be installed in pairs, you can't just put one stick in and expect it to work, it has to be matched memory and the unused slots need the blanking plates in as well for the system to work.
Unfortunately RIMM memory these days costs an arm, a leg and a kidney to buy.

Edited by Neil Jones, 08 September 2008 - 03:30 AM.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Do the plates look like dummy memory? I have one stick I know is mem. but the other looks like a fake stick?? They were in there ever since the machine was purchaced. Never moved them till now. They were in Rimm 2 and 3 I put them in Rimm 1 and 2. Rimm 1 with the memory stick and 2 with what looks like dummy. Please see attached.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The plates look like dummy sticks, yes.
Typically memory goes in RIMM 1 and 2 with the blanking plates in 3 and 4 though some machines it probably doesn't matter.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
So here is a pic of what I have. I know one is a mem stick but is the otherone also because they have to go in as a pair. Or is it a dummy stick?? I've tried all combos of putting them in. Still get 3 beeps. You still think it is memory issue or mabe video card or keyboard error. I guess I might have to get mem tested.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
If you tried all the combinations either the board has developed a fault or the memory has. More likely the board.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
So if I do it right the mem sick goes in bank 1 and the smaller goes in bank 3.? When I origanally pulled it mem stick was in bank 2 and the smaller one was in bank 3.