Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook 2000

• Please log in to reply

highland403

highland403

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I have upgraded to a newer computer and need to access the emails on the old computer. Both machines have Outlook 2000 on them although I haven't finished setting up Outlook on the new machine yet.

I went to Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook on the new machine and there is no Outlook.pst file there yet. Should I copy the Outlook.pst file from the old machine and paste it in the Outlook file at the end of the string and then complete the set up?

Or should I Import the Outlook.pst file from the old machine to the new machine?

Or is there some other way that I should do this?

Thanks.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
What I have done is finish setting up the new machine completely.

Copy the Old pst to the new computers desktop

Open Outlook

File -> Open -> Outlook Data File

Select the old pst

Now you should see your new and old in outlook, copy the old emails into the new, then everything will be up to date.

I have not had good luck trying to actually use the old pst, its better to let it create a new one, then just move the old data into it.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Hi. I copied the Outlook.pst file to the desktop and opened Outlook. When I click on File, and then Open, the only 2 options are Selected Items and Personal Folders File (.pst). I don't have an Outlook Data File option.

I tried opening the Outlook.pst file on the new desktop but nothing happened.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
When I finished setting up Outlook 2000, the default must be to automatically pick up emails from the ISP because it downloaded about 30 emails.

So now I have these 30 emails in the new computer's Outlook.pst file.

This is what I'm thinking of doing. Can someone tell me if it will work or if I should do something different:

1. Archive the 30 emails on the new machine,
2. Import the Outlook.pst file from the old computer,
3. Import the 30 emails

Another option I was thinking of trying was to Archive the 30 emails and delete the new computers Outlook.pst file. I read somewhere that if you delete the .pst file, Outlook will say it can't be found and ask you to browse for it. I could then point to the .pst file from the old computer that is now saved on the new computer's destop and then import the Archived file of 30 emails. :)

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I finally got the Outlook.pst file moved and it seems to have worked, although I don't know if all of the settings got changed. At least the emails ended up where they needed to be and my contacts are there.

I essentially did what is described in the post, Moving Outlook2000 to a new machine..., Is the PST file everything I need? http://www.geekstogo...l...tml&hl=2000

I ended up basically copying the Outlook.pst file from the old machine over the Outlook.pst file on the new machine. When I restarted Outlook, I got some sort of message saying that I would have to copy the contents of the old folders to the new Outlook folders and go to Help for instructions on how to change the mail delivery location. I didn't end up having to do anything the error message said and Outlook seems to be working fine...