Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Labtec pc mic 333 question

• Please log in to reply

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I have posted on another forum which helped me but for a second opinion is a seperate sound card better for mic's than my onboard realtek hd, as at the moment it hardly picks up any sound, and i was told a seperate card would help. I know the mic works as at a friends house the mic worked really well. =]

thanks.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Have you tried simply reconfiguring the mic?

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Reconfiguring? Where?

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
The simple answer is yes, a separate soundcard will always produce better results than your onboard chip.

The longer answer is - it depends.

What's your intended use for the mic?
It seems like overkill to invest even a modest sum on a cheap soundcard when you're using a $8 mic at the front end.

If you're only using it for voice chat & multimedia then I'd go with the onboard chip. Get a new mic.

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I know its a cheap mic, but apprently it has good sound which is why i got that. But i wanted to make videos and talk online possibly games. Surely a sound card would benefit my sound too, so could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

The simple answer is yes, a separate soundcard will always produce better results than your onboard chip.

In Vista, most of the time it is the exact opposite.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

In Vista, most of the time it is the exact opposite.

That's only because few people actually take the time and trouble to configure Vista properly.

I belong to another pro-audio forum and many users there report that Vista rocks, running 32 & 64 bit music apps, but Vista needs tweaking in order to reach this utopian state (as does XP)

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
How would i go a bout tweaking XP then? :)
i dont have vista.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Sometimes the drivers for your onboard sound have their own configuration options. Check out your control panel and see. If not the best you will be able to do for configuration is "Sound and Devices" from the control panel. I have always kept my mics on max volume.

That's only because few people actually take the time and trouble to configure Vista properly.

I belong to another pro-audio forum and many users there report that Vista rocks, running 32 & 64 bit music apps, but Vista needs tweaking in order to reach this utopian state (as does XP)

I had read that they changed the way that Vista handles sound almost to a point were it nerfed all sound cards other than the Creative X-FI series. I was skeptical on this until a friend I game with got a new sound card for his Vista system and he has sounded like he talking underwater ever since.

Edited by Titan8990, 11 September 2008 - 10:45 AM.

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Yeah, i have set all the realtek config to max volume, and on the normal wodnows control i have although i cant use advanced options for input for some reason.