Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing search companion and jscript error

• Please log in to reply

keljayne

keljayne

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi There
I have recently been receiving help for a virus problem i had, this has now been resolved and topic closed earlier today after i advised everything was ok, however I logged on to my Pc using a different user and have noticed a few things missing and that IE has stopped working. I have been informed that the problems are due to the jscript registry key being incorrect. i followed advise to correct this but am not getting very far as keep getting an error message with the return code of 0x80004005. MSCONGIG is also missing when trying to access it from run, when i follow the full path to check the key is correct i get the following error message "cannot open msconfig.exe;error while opening key" also when trying to access search companion i receive the following mesage " a file is required to run search companion cannot be found. you may need to run set up." Not sure how to resolve this as everything i have tried stops me with error messages.

Thanks
Kelly

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I assume you meant msconfig and not mscongig...

you need to run sfc /scannow...
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

How to use Scannow sfc...

The main reason for using this utility is when you suspect there may be a problem with a Windows XP system file.

Perhaps you get a dialog box appear informing you of a problem with a .dll file, or your program will just not load! It is therefore worth checking to see if there are any corrupt system files using scannow sfc.

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

keljayne

keljayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey there My boyfriend carried out your instructions and search companion has now returned, msconfig is still missing though. I dont know what else he has done but i now have a blue star like shape at the bottom right hand corner of my screen telling me then my version of xp is no longer secure and my pc is now very very slow. i get a message advising me to install service pack 2 but get an error when trying to do this. do you have any sugestions on how to reslove this please.

Thanks
Kelly

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...

keljayne

keljayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi There

I have already had the pc checked for malware, its fine (for a change ) Just stuck with the error on page problem, missing MSCONFIG and now the message advising that xp is no longer secure. my boyfriend has just advised me that he tried a repair install and since doing so all the problems had surfaced. do you think its best to do a full reinstall?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just be sure to backup any data you can't live without before a clean install...
also get all the drivers for your/his particular system before wiping the drive...burn them to cd/dvd's

keljayne

keljayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It sounds a bit scary but i dont think i have much option now.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
since you have already tried sfc /scannow AND a repair...its probably the easiest way to go ...
it may sound scary but its actually pretty easy..go here for the lowdown
or here...

Edited by happyrock, 26 September 2008 - 08:56 AM.