Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

laptop power cord is not powering laptop or charging battery

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a power apapter that is not powering my laptop or charging the battery. A light on the laptop indicates the plug is connected, but charging light is not on. Any suggestions? I noticed ebay is selling a power connector (female part thats part of the laptop). Would this piece help? laptop: HP TC1100

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by roach779, 08 September 2008 - 04:42 PM.

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you tried using a multimeter to see if you have voltage in the plug-in fitting on the power adapter? There are only 2 wires going to the laptop. Testing with probes should tell you if you have power to the plug.

The female receptor is usually soldered to the laptop motherboard, so fixing this would involve taking the laptop completely apart. Not something i would try to do. It would be easier and better to let a professional repair person do this.

If it is a problem with the internal connector in the laptop it would probably be easier to buy another laptop and sell the old one in parts on Ebay. I know finding a similar comp is kinda hard but is possible. If your's is the 1 gig early model, its value is not high enough to pay to repair it.