Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How Can I Enlarge One Of My Hard Drive's Partitions?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
I have an 80GB hard drive in my pc that is partitioned in two halves. The first half is my "C:Windows" partition which is approximately 20GB in size, and the other half is my "E:Data" 60GB partition which is used for any garbage data/downloads/documents/etc.

I partitioned this drive into two halves a long time ago with the help of a friend through some command when you go to "run" in the start menu. I believe it was "diskmanagement.dsc" or something along those lines.

Anyways I'd like to add more hard drive space to my "C:Windows" partition by taking away space from my "E:Data" partition. Is this possible? If so please tell me how to do this step by step. I need to do it because "System Restore" needs more space for restore points and I've fallen below 15% of required free space during Auslogic software defragmentations. Oh and believe me I know how to turn off System Restore so it can delete all of the restore points and free up space. But that's not what I want to do. I just want to give my main partition more space!

Thank You

Edited by superstar, 08 September 2008 - 06:06 PM.

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Hi superstar! It's been a while since I last saw you. :)

I was able to use once Arconis Partition Manager to move space from one partition to another partition. It's been a long time since I did that and I don't have a copy of that software, so I can't really be more detailed on how to do it. But it's pretty simple I'm sure. Just a few clicks here and there. I don't think it's a free program. There are some free partition manager programs out there that you can Google but I haven't used any of them yet.

Hope that helps. :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
arcronis stuff is pretty good for windows its among the best i've used, I screwed up a partition resize and after I had run data recovery on the system I use arcronis to put it back together.

The best way I have found and the cheapest is to use an Ubuntu live CD and gparted, you can get just G-parted on a bootable disc and its a smaller download but its allot slower than when it is packaged with Ubuntu which must have made some modifications to g-parted to make it run allot faster than it does on its own.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

arcronis stuff is pretty good for windows its among the best i've used

Is there a free version or something like that? Maybe a trial?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is a trial but it has limited function, might work I've not used the trial just the full app suite which has all the Arcronis apps in one handy package.