Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-R DL Burn Issues

• Please log in to reply

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Not even burn issues, more like disc identify issues. I can put a normal DVD-R in and it reads fine, but a Verbatim DVD-R DL and ImgBurn states "Medium Not Present."

Nero and Imgburn both say this drive is capable of both DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL disc burning, so I don't know the problem. It is firmware version L602, and there is an update, but the update is for Roxio DVD Creator, and I don't have a USB Drive that I can spare for the update itself.

Windows XP SP2, Verbatim DVD-R DL, ImgBurn or DVD Decrypter or Nero to burn, and it's an OEM Compaq DVD Drive.

Are there any reported issues with this drive? Is there some way to reset it on a hardware level? Would cleaning the lens help?

Edited by fortune82, 08 September 2008 - 08:22 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Maybe it doesn't like verbatim discs...seriously... or maybe that disc is bad have you tried a second one?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Some drives will just take a dislike to a certain media, sometimes the disk is bad is it all DL disks of any brand, or just verbs, or just that one disk. There might be other updates in the firmware I would try and flash it, if you have a USB drive just dump whats on it to your desktop then use it for the flash and reformat it and put your files back when you are finished.

fortune82

fortune82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Well, the disc is from a friend, so its all I have as of now.

I remember this happening to me before; I cleaned the disc off and it worked. Will try that now and see!