Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HOW Can I Boot to HP Recovery's Partition on D: ?

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I have an HP Desktop, and on Drive D: thers a System Recovery which will allow me to re-install my OS back to its original settings. I have an option to access it by press F10 once the PC is powered up, but it DOES NOT WORK! .. how can I get my PC to boot to that drive so i can possibley get to the System Recovery progam, to re-install my Windows XP

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If the hard drive is damaged or the master boot record is corrupt you may not be able to. I would go to the HP website for your model and see what they suggest in this situation. You may just have to order the recovery disks from HP, and if the hard drive itself is damaged that may need to be replaced.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try tapping F10 key, instead of pressing it.

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Thers nothing wrong with the Hard Drive at all, its just windows will start up saying its missing a bunch of files, an freeze almost everytime after using it for 5 minutes. A Bunch of system files are missing, .dlls an the .net framework

And I've tried tapping, pressing everything ...

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
If you are unable to access the recovery partition then you will need to order the recovery disc from HP in order to reinstall Windows.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you try to boot into Safe Mode?
I don't know how old your HP is, but HP usually has an option to create recovery disk from within Windows.
BTW, do you have Windows CD?

Edited by Broni, 09 September 2008 - 05:37 PM.

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I can boot into safe mode, and yes i have the option to create recovery disk... it creates the image an than it says it fails before it can burn it everytime... and then thers one where it says make a backup recovery using 2 DVDS but i think thats gona backup the current system im on now , which runs horribley

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If you call HP, and tell them, you can't create recovery DVD, they'll send you a set for free, or just for shipping cost.
BTW, what's wrong with your computer, anyway?

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
takes for--evvver to boot up, so many error messages about missing files, System restore doesn't work.. I've done a sfc /scannow and a message comes up asking to insert my windows disc because files are missing already.

This computer is desperately asking for a new start

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
...and you don't have Windows CD, either?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

takes for--evvver to boot up, so many error messages about missing files, System restore doesn't work.. I've done a sfc /scannow and a message comes up asking to insert my windows disc because files are missing already.

This computer is desperately asking for a new start

This actually sounds like mal-ware.
Have you tried looking at our mal-ware forum?
Broni is correct about ordering a set of recovery disc from HP.