Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 problems: history, internet tools + install of spyware

• Please log in to reply

Computer newibe

Computer newibe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, i have an office laptop at home. I'm convinced my border is up to something but cannot produce any evidence of this. The way the laptop is setup it shows up to 20 days history [i cannot change this]. The strange thing is that when my roomie gets online none of the websites they go to show up in the history [the websites they went to used to show up in the history but somehow they've figured out a way to "hide" where they surf]. I've gone to Internet tools [view files, view objects] but nothing ever appears in there either.

I figure they are either manually deleting everything or they have a spyware setup [web-eraser was on the previous computer and may be on this laptop but I can't find any evidence of it]. There are no icons or folders for weberaser either [roomie may have renamed a folder on the c: drive but there are too many folders to check out] and I can't find a thing on the c drive.

My questions are this:

1) I want to install spyware but don't want to do this until I can figure out how my roommate is "hiding" websites [in the history feature] they go to so that they don't show in the history [i know they use v-tunnel but i used v-tunnel today and the history showed that I went to v-tunnel and my g-mail. I know roomie has found a way to delete their surfing history because I was shown some hard-copies of e-mails they'd printed from their G-mail on the laptop last night but when I went later to scan the history it didn't show that they'd even gone to g-mail, nor was there anything in the internet tools/ view files/ view objects. They cannot access their gmail account at there place of work and so have to use the laptop at my home.

I'm wondering if there is some mechanism in G-mail to "hide" when they check their g-mail?

How can I edit the history for my surfing so they don't know where I've gone? I need to know how to do this before I install spyware.

2) How can i figure out if spyware has been installed without my knowledge on the laptop?

3) How can i install spyware so that it doesn't show up in the history [i had previously installed on the old computer Symantic but on that computer i was able to edit the history.

As you can see i really need help, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks! - you can e-mail me at: edited to protect you from more spam than you thought possible

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Computer newibe,

First off, we won't help you install spyware - we spend too much of our time helping people get rid of spyware, viruses, etc. If you don't trust your boarder, then the obvious answer is to not let them use your PC. There are ways in IE to delete/hide your history in IE, and for whatever reason, he doesn't want you seeing where he's gone. If he's doing things like checking his Gmail, that's a perfectly legitimate function, so I"m not sure why you're so concerned with tracking that. You haven't given a compelling reason for needing to know what sites he's visiting.

If you're concerned that you have spyware, I recommend you go here and follow the directions for posting a hijackthis log. If you think your boarder has installed spyware, or you don't want him using your PC, then you need to password protect it and limit his access to it. If you can't totally stop him from using it, then perhaps you need to set up a user account for him with limited access.

Computer newibe

Computer newibe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi sari, just for the record i didn't want anybody to help me install spyware i merely wanted to know how to hide the history before I installed spyware. I cannot ask the boarder to not use the computer until I can prove they are up to something.