Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow internet, possible spyware

• Please log in to reply

icikle

icikle

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hi, im having a lot of trouble with slow internet speeds

uhmm, dont know why someone removed my log file, if someone could point me in the direction of the rules, theyve obviously changed since i was last on

Edited by icikle, 09 September 2008 - 10:55 AM.
Removed log, read the rules

Advertisements

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello icikle,

The log was removed because HJT logs can only be posted in the malware forum. An expert looked at your log and determined that your issue does not look to be releated to spyware. You can look at the Malware removal rules here

In regards to your internet speed:

Have you made any changes to your system recently?

Do you use a router, or are you connected to a modem?

Are you subscribed to a cable provider, DSL, or dial-up?

To find out what the problem is you can attempt the following:

Try downloading Firefox, and see if the speed changes. If the speed increases then look at giving IE a tune up. You can delete history, cookies, cache, temp files, any toolbars that you don't use or need.

If the speed however does not change or you have more then 1 browser already, and you notice that the speed decrease your browsers have taken is a big difference to a couple days or a weeks prior you can tune up your computer.

You can try a program like CC cleaner that will clear out your temporary files that can build up over time and cause your computer to slow down.

Also try a defrag.

If after trying these steps your speed is the same you can:

Make sure that unnecessary programs are not updating, or using the internet when you don't need them/want them to. Also I would stop by speedtest.net and compare the bandwidth amount you are paying for to what you are actually getting. Keep in mind that many providers consider that half the speed for which you are paying for is acceptable. If you look at your ISP package and discover that you are paying for a 1.5 Mb download and 512kb upload and you are getting 750 kb down and 256 up, this should not have anything to do with your computer but with your ISP and usage around your area.

Edited by bombasos2, 09 September 2008 - 11:04 AM.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ive alrdy ran speedtests and im gettig 445 downstream and im supposed to get upto 3mb but most likely 2mb, there have been absolutely no changes to my setup and this only occured about a week ago. I am alrdy running firefox and always have, ive cleaned my internet files to no avail, my isp doesnt seem to want to know so im cancelling with them due to lack of support. theyre bt btw