Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

compatible ram

• Please log in to reply

scottishfugee

scottishfugee

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
HI :)

Im upgrading my ram i have a (asrock p4i65g) and the ram i have been given is (DDR2 Kingston
2GB 533MHz PC2 -4200 CL4 240-Pin DIMM) i have looked and the mother board says it can take (PC2100, PC2700, PC3200) but the ram says its (pc2-4200). I dont know anything about this but i thought it ment it would fit any between pc2200 to pc4200.

If anyone knows if this is compatible or not i would love to know.

Thx in advance :)

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
The RAM you have will not work with your motherboard because it only takes DDR RAM instead of the DDR2 RAM that you were given.

Kamille

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The PC2 indicates RAM that is of the DDR2 type its an newer standard, the stuff the board takes is old fashioned DDR. If you want to upgrade the ram you will need to get DDR ram or PC-3200 you can still get DDR most places its hard to get the high performance stuff now as its been out of manufacture so long but they still make some generic DDR even now for people upgrading older systems.

http://www.overclock.......8&subid=481 something along the lines of what they have here is what you need for that system, if you look carefully the DDR2 you have won't even fit in the board as it used a different number of pins.

scottishfugee

scottishfugee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi

Thanks for the help :) like i say i dont know anything about this :) I went to my local computer shop and they have orderd some new ram for me.

Thx again for the fast responce :)