Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My mini 3GP video camera has been infected - some kind of worm virus

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Hi. I have a mini usb video camera that apparently caught a virus.

First let me describe the camera. Its basically a USB flash drive with a small pin-hole lens and a processor that creates 3GP format video files, like the video files created by video capable mobile phone. At the bottom of the camera there's a USB socket for transferring data and re-charging.

Click here you can see what it looks like (this is not my video, but my device is exactly the same as the one being shown).

I bought the camera two months ago and its been working fine until about a week ago when all material shot with it suddenly resulted in corrupt 3GP files. The video clips were completely screwed up. Some files refused to even open. I took the camera back to the shop where I bought it thinking it needed repair.

The guy at the shop hooked the camera up with his computer to try and check out the problem for himself. Just as he plugged it into his USB hub, a NOD32 antivirus pop-up alerted him of a worm virus (stupidly, I didn't write down the exact details, but it said something about an autorun file and that it is a worm virus). After that, he tested the camera and IT WORKED! But from what I could understand from reading the NOD32 message, the virus wasn't removed. So I'm not really sure where I stand with this situation. I don't know if my camera is safe or still infected, also there's a good chance my computer is infected as well since the camera was plugged into its USB ports several times (the camera has also been plugged into a few different computers in the past weeks, not only mine).

At home I use AVG (free version) which I update regularly. It scans my computer every night, although I've never performed a scan while the camera was plugged in. My firewall is Comodo Firewall Pro (free version). I also run Spyware Blaster and Spybot S&D which I scans my system about once a week. I also run Panda Online Scan every week for a second opinion, and files from sources I don't fully trust get uploaded to VirusTotal. That being said, this worm that NOD32 found on the camera has yet to be detected on my computer. Strange, I think.

[BTW: running Windows xp pro, sp3]

So I'm posting for two reasons:
1. First of all I would really like to rid my camera of this virus if its still there, and I'm not sure how to go about doing that.
2. Secondly, I'm curious to know if possibly my computer is infected and if my current security software is somehow missing it.

Please note: I am familiar with the rules of this forum and normally I would go through all the preliminary scans and such before starting this thread, but this time I haven't yet done so ONLY because I'm not sure if I should do this with the camera connected to my computer or not. Please advise me as to what steps I should take.

Looking forward to your instructions which will be highly appreciated.... thx!

Edited by adifrank, 10 September 2008 - 02:15 AM.

Advertisements