Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

100% CPU usage.

• Please log in to reply

Dave Sc

Dave Sc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My PC is permanantly at 100% CPU usage. The programs which appear to be casuing this are iexlore.exe, ccSvcHst.exe and svchost.exe.

I have run registry cleanup programs and spyware programs but nothing seems to fix it. :)

Do i have a serious problem or is the PC just past it?? :)

Can anyone help.

Cheers

Advertisements

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
This may be the problem.

CPU CONSTANTLY AT 100%
Appears the most popular problem is with an IDE device reverting to PIO, I just had this problem with my computer the other day, the short story is:

-Go to Device Manager (right-click my computer, select manage, select device manager)
- Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller
- For each IDE Channel, usually Primary and Secondary, right click and select Properties, go to the Advanced Settings tab and look at Current Transfer Mode, if it says PIO then this is probably your problem.

Uninstall the IDE controller, scan for hardware changes, reinstall and check again, it should say DMA or Ultra DMA.

If your IDE channels are already running [Ultra]DMA then this isn't the answer, but a driver issue is likely, check for the latest BIOS and device drivers for your hardware.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Do you have Norton or symantex product? It belongs to them. It could also be virus/spyware if in the wrong folder.

Some interesting reading is found HERE. Pay attention to response 8.