Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router Hacked?

• Please log in to reply

Moca Lade

Moca Lade

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
To make a long story short....I can't get into my router's information.

http://192.168.1.1/

I go here, and it asks me for a password. I definetly DON'T recall ever putting up a password. Since about March I've been playing super smash bros. Online using this router, and while I'm not thinking it's related, that might be important. I'm having unusual lag problems playing the game as well, which leads me to believe that someone may be using it. It could also just be interference caused by something else in my house, but I can't change the channel if I can't access my router.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Forgotten or Lost Router Password
How to Reset a Linksys Router
Why reset a router?
How to Reset a Wireless Router

More Sources

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If its a wireless router and you didn't set up the password and your security wasn't that good what someone could have done is get onto your network and set the password themselves.

Follow major paynes instructions, and when you are done resetting then set yourself a password on the router and proper security, it is unlikely someone accessed the router via the internet and just changed the password.

Moca Lade

Moca Lade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

If its a wireless router and you didn't set up the password and your security wasn't that good what someone could have done is get onto your network and set the password themselves.

Follow major paynes instructions, and when you are done resetting then set yourself a password on the router and proper security, it is unlikely someone accessed the router via the internet and just changed the password.

Well as far as I knew, all my security was pretty standard (128 bit WEP key sealed). But even after reseting my router (I've tried it twice
), it's still requesting username and password to login (and the ones I tried after reseting it STILL arent working). I'll look into the links he posted though.

Thanks.

edit: GOD thanks so much, The name Admin, and default password worked just fine. Thanks a lot. It's really unlikely I was hacked, I probably just accidentally changed the settings most likely.

Edited by Moca Lade, 11 September 2008 - 07:57 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Probably, just remember to set up the security properly now and set a username and password you are going to remember so you can avoid the problem in the future. If you want and the router isn't in a public space just write the username and password on the router either with a bit of paper and tape it on or just use a permanent maker and write it on the router.

Edited by warriorscot, 12 September 2008 - 03:07 AM.

Moca Lade

Moca Lade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
>_>

Well it turns out that the problem isn't entirely solved. I managed to get into my router settings, but I can't find out where to change the WEP key (they changed the interface), and it still says my router is unsecure when I access my Wii.
Any ideas?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Okay, maybe you should tell us what make and model your router is.

Also what does the opening screen look like, the only way the interface is changed is if the firmware was updated or replaced with something else. To be honest you probably just either aren't remembering what the interface looked like or you used a seperate application to set it up the first time.

Wireless security usually comes under its own page, so look for a link that says security or something along those lines and see if it gets you to the page to change wireless settings. Have a poke around youll probably find it. If we know the make and model of the router we might be able to digg up some images to help or a manual.

Moca Lade

Moca Lade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Okay, maybe you should tell us what make and model your router is.

Also what does the opening screen look like, the only way the interface is changed is if the firmware was updated or replaced with something else. To be honest you probably just either aren't remembering what the interface looked like or you used a seperate application to set it up the first time.

Wireless security usually comes under its own page, so look for a link that says security or something along those lines and see if it gets you to the page to change wireless settings. Have a poke around youll probably find it. If we know the make and model of the router we might be able to digg up some images to help or a manual.

XD wow I THINK I've found the source of the problem. I simply used the wrong URL (mabye http://192.168.1.1/ instead of http://192.168.2.1/). I'll see what I can do now.

But Im still having strange problems with slow loading. And for some reason youtube isn't loading properly. >_>

Edited by Moca Lade, 14 September 2008 - 09:51 AM.

Moca Lade

Moca Lade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've fixed most the problems. Replacing a faulting Ethernet cable fixed the slowdown and I simply reset my router.

But what settings on my router should I modify to allow online gaming via Wifi. I'm still unable to play. >_>

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What do you mean by online gaming? Via computer or console?

If its from something wireless make sure the device has all the security credentials and can actually connect to the internet, if it connects to the internet its probably a port problem so go to portforward.com to get router specific help with doing that.

If its a console dig out your instructions and make sure you set it up properly.