Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Dell Laptop not starting.

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi all,

My Dell laptop seems to have stopped worked this week. I dont have any idea what the reason could be. When I start it up, I can hear the fan starting up. The power light blinks. But I dont see the OS loading. The screen stays blank and and the power light keeps blinking. Finally after a few seconds, the computer lets out a beep and turns off.

This is not a battery problem since I am connected to the power outlet. Anyone have any idea what has gone wrong? Is the mother board burnt or something. I am pretty sure the hard drive is fine as well.

Please help!

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well will it boot from the battery or does it do the same thing? How about plugged in but the battery out? do you have more than one stick of memory in it? if so try one at a time.... You could also pull the hard drive and see if the screen at least lights up... if the other drives are removeable you could try pulling them as well... Is it gettting really hot before it shuts off?

unfortunately not much to a laptop to try... could be the power board which may or may not be part of the motherboard.... if it is the motherboard... well unless you can find an exact duplicate on ebay cheap probably isn't worth fixing.

Jagbir Singh Lehl

Jagbir Singh Lehl

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I am facing the same problem with my dell laptop. I am guessing that you were able to rectify it. Would appreciate if you can share any information on the problem and the likely solution.