Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reading win 95 with win xp ?

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have a client that has quickbooks on an old PC running win 95. I too a hard drive formatted with xp and connected it as a slave to the win95 pc. I copied all the quick books files and folders to the drive. I then took this drive out and connected it to the pc running xp via USB. I cannot see any of the files or folders on that drive. I can see the drive but I can't see the data. I connected back to the win 95 pc and the files are readable there but not on the xp pc. How in the world can I get the file off the win 95 pc and copy them to the XP PC. Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It would be easier to use a flash drive to transferthe files over to the XP computer. It really sounds like you do NOT have quickbooks on the XP computer so there is codec's missing to where you can see the data files. I quit using Quickbooks years ago because of problems like these. While it is a nice program it's not worth the effort to me anymore. It does not help that quickbooks will not support earlier versions of their software but instead expect you to pay $300 for newer software to use their databases. I switched to using Access and excel just because its easier.

SRX660

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
There is no usb availabe in that system with win 95. They already have Quickbooks 2006. The problem is that any file I copy of that win 95 system to a hard drive cannot be read with XP. I even took out the whole drive with the system oni it and it could not read it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows 95 (before OSR/2) uses FAT16, which XP can read. OSR/2 uses FAT32. There is no issue with FAT16 filesystems under XP in lieu of the fact floppy disks use FAT12 which has been around longer than Windows 95 has.

There is no USB support under Windows 95 unless you have OSR/2, and even then USB support is patchy at the best of times.

How big is the hard drive for the Windows 95 machine? If its bigger than 4Gb XP may not be able to read it.

A better solution if the Win95 PC is network enabled and capable is to connect it up to a router, connect your computer to the same router and then browse the files that way. issues over filesystems then become irrelevant.

Edited by Neil Jones, 10 September 2008 - 03:41 PM.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
This 95 PC is not net work ready. I,m not sure how I would network this pc with the router when most nic cards won't work with 95. Could you give me some ideas on how to network this 95 pc with the xp pc. I can't remember what size the drive was but I do have a maxtor 4 gig HD that I could hook up to the 95 pc if you think that might work. I would appreciate some help on this thanks for your time.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Of course if the machines have working floppy disk drives and all the files are smaller than 1.4Mb the problem is solved... But I reckon that's not the case is it? :)

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
You are right, I'm wondering if I could read the 95 files on Linux?

baudwalker

baudwalker

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Try reversing the hardware exchange.......

Put the W95 drive in as a slave to the XP box

Transfer the files to an appropriate folder on the XP drive

Next..to READ the copied files you will need the APPLICATION loaded on the XP box first

IF the files are visible on the XP drive the all you should need is the application correctly installed on the XP box

Most XP installs use the NTFS file system and this is unreadable by W95...if you can see the drive connected to a W95 system then you must have FAT32 file system

Good Luck

Baudy! :)

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have hooked the drive up to my xp box using a usb converter and the drive shows up but tells me I cannot access it.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
If I have a IDE zip drive it might work in the 95 pc.

baudwalker

baudwalker

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Looks like we are not in receipt of all of the facts here

If you are using USB converters for hard drives then the variables have increased so far even a guess is out of the question

A FULL chronological explanation of the EXACT details may get you some usefull results

Good Luck

Baudy! :)

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
You hit the nail on the head, I forgot that when converting IDE to USB there can be complications, so I got another computer and went directly to the secondary IDE port. There I was able to read and save all the files. Thanks for all your help. Bruce