Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet problems at only 1 location

• Please log in to reply

Helian

Helian

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a really weird problem, and I'm hoping you can help me figure out what the problem is. I have 3 locations in my house that have internet access via a LAN, we'll call them A,B, and C. All three of them have working Internet signals, sent to them by a router, and all 3 computers at those locations have XP. I recently bought a new computer which has Vista on it. I took it to location C, and plugged it in. Everything worked fine, and it immediately detected the internet.
I decided to move it, and took it to location B, and plugged it in. Everything worked fine, and it immediately detected the internet.
I decided to move it again, and took it to position A, and plugged it in. The system came up, but it could not detect the internet.
I didn't understand this, so I moved the Vista computer back to location B, and moved the computer at B, to A, to see if I could replicate the lost internet problem.
The vista computer at location B detected the internet.
The old computer at position A detected the internet (Which is where the vista computer could not detect the internet.)

Do you have any idea why Vista could not detect the internet at position A, while other XP computers could?

I understand this is kind of strange, and I apologize in advance if I didn't word it very well.

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Perhaps this microsoft article will help.

http://www.microsoft...oubleshoot.mspx

Personally, i think what has happened is you are getting the same IP numbers from the "A"connection as the "B" connection so windows is confused, because it already has the connection recorded, and noew another computer is using the same connection. What happens if you do not have any computer connected to the "B" location when you have the Vista computer connected to the "A" connection? Maybe this can tell you more than just that the vista won't connect at "A".

SRX660

Helian

Helian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your help. I tried your suggestion and the Vista computer continued to have problems finding the internet connection. To remedy this, I simply moved the vista back to a location at which it could get the internet signal. This doesn't really fix the problem, but it is a simple solution.

Thanks again for your reply.