Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a new and better motherboard

• Please log in to reply

bbymkr

bbymkr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys! First want to say this looks like a great site! All right to my question...I was given an emachines T3958 (Specs: Processor: Intel Celeron D 340 (2.93 GHz)cpu socket (478) ; RAM installed: 512 MB DDR SDRAM; Hard drive: 80 GB Standard; OS provided: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition; Memory speed: 333 MHz; Processor type: Celeron D) The previous owner neglected to clean the clogged processor fan causing it to overheat the motherboard, according to Best Buy "Geek Squad". I am hoping that someone will know a replacement motherboard that will work in this cpu that has an AGP slot on it(the fried board does not have one soldered in but a spot for it) and also uses the same ram (PC3200). I'm including a picture of the fried motherboard and if you look above the PCI slots can see where the AGP slot is supposed to be, but never soldered in because of the onboard graphics I'm assuming.

Attached Thumbnails

• d845gvsr.jpg

Edited by bbymkr, 10 September 2008 - 01:29 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would take anything the geek squad tell you with a grain of salt.

I would also check the thing for damage just in case, there have been a few known instances where geek squad have actually done the damage themselves. or if you take a computer in and then they sell you another they cut the cables in the old one etc.

Even with the fan out the systems usually will turn themselves off before they do themselves damage, I would check all the jumpers, reset the bios and reseat the HSF, then try it out with only one stick of memory and a different power supply if you have one.

Getting a new 478 motherboard might be tough they have been out of production a long time now, I haven't seen a decent one for sale in at least a year. You will probably be stuck with whatever you can actually find rather than something particularly good.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Any Socket 478 board will be fine and vastly superior to the board that was in the eMachines in the first place. Seriously.
eMachines machines tend to die after three years anyway due to the power supply so the clogging of the fan may have been co-incidental.

bbymkr

bbymkr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for replies guys I'm checking out some on ebay right now.Might have more questions later!