Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BAD_POOL_CALLER in Windows Update

• Please log in to reply

lavagolemking

lavagolemking

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
Whenever I try to update Windows XP by clicking the yellow-shield icon in the lower-right corner, I get a blue-screen error saying "BAD_POOL_CALLER". The error happens just as the update is initialized, so I can select/unselect updates, but it doesn't matter what I have selected/unselected; it just crashes.

Edit: It installed the first one during shutdown, but then crashed at the start of the second one. Now it crashes periodically for no apparent reason, usually within minutes of starting up but while Windows is already completely started up.

I know well that it's a bad idea to neglect installing updates (especially security updates), but all 3 that are appearing on it are security-related, and at my school they have a requirement that everyone's personal computer is fully up-to-date or you're not allowed on the internet (which they are working on scanning for). Fortunately, school doesn't start for another couple of weeks, but I routinely install security-related updates anyway, so this is rather obnoxious.

For the record, there were no recent driver/hardware installations.

The updates are:
Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954154)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - September 2008 (KB980830)

Relevant security software:
SpyBot S&D (TeaTimer/SDHelper active)
Avast Anti-virus (home free version, all real-time scanners active)
Cisco Systems VPN Adapter

Hardware:
Model: Inspiron E1505 Single-Core
HD: TOSHIBA MK8052GSX
Video: ATI Mobility Radeon x1300
Network: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Wireless: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Processor: Genuine Intel® CPU T1300 1.66 GHz
Audio: SigmaTel High Definition

Edited by lavagolemking, 11 September 2008 - 12:03 PM.

Advertisements

lavagolemking

lavagolemking

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
Never mind. I reinstalled after Windows ate itself.