Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition help. vista.

• Please log in to reply

dxnib1

dxnib1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

this is kinda like my last question about dual-booting as-least it resembles some elements.

anyway.

i bought a Dell XPS 720 a long time ago. and i'd like to dual-boot the pre-installed vista with XP. iv already done this on my Toshiba Equiem laptop. and it works perfectly. my XPS however is putting up a fight.

i have a 699GB HD with 338GB free space. yet when i go to disk-management and try to partition the drive it says iv only got 35mb free space. through some extensive googling iv found that one of the causes may be pre-installed system files that have been spread through the disk. and i was wondering how do i move these files to one side so i can get more space to partition with. preferably i'd like to partition 50GB. but as i say i'm unsure how to do this.

iv heard about some programs that may move the files for me but in return they will wipe my entire hdd.
this inst something i can afford and would realy like to keep my files. whilst still being able to partition my hdd.

is there anyway to do this?

thanks.
dxnib1.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Find a defragmentation tool (I prefer Defraggler) and defragment the hard drive multiple times. You may also want to find a tool that will defragment system files and the page file (like Raxco PerfectDisk). That way all of the data is moved to the beginning of the drive, like moving all of the books on your bookshelf to one end.

dxnib1

dxnib1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
awsome i'll take alook ASAP. thanks for the help

:)

dxnib1

dxnib1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hello again, i'v been defragging for quite along time now (about 19hours at least on and off.) looks good so far though. i'll let you know if it works.

on another note, do you know if its possible to expand an XP partition, from its origional partition.

for example. say i partition 50GB for my XP install, then later i decide i want a bigger partition for it, is there anyway to do this? i know its possible to shed more space from my Vista partition but can i add it to xp?

anyway still defragging, i'll get back to you later.

thanks once again.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
This is for Vista:
http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Thanks Jacee. Also, note that Vista can only extend partitions to the right, not to the left. So if you are trying to extend a partition, but the free space is before the partition (to the left), you'll need to follow the instructions here.