Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't load Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

hullabaloo2

hullabaloo2

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I can't load windows XP on my laptop. Earlier today I accidentally had power to my computer cut off (my battery is dead and it was unplugged) while XP was trying to update before shutdown. The screen said "do not shut off your computer." Who would've thought it was so serious? :) Anyway, when I turned on my laptop later it brought up the windows splash screen as always, but then it just goes to a blank screen with a cursor. I can move the cursor around, but there are not menus, ctrl-alt-del does nothing, right click does nothing. The only thing I can do at that point is a hard shut down. The same thing happens when I boot in safe mode except that "safe mode" is in each corner. I put in the recovery cd to try to do a repair, but when I do that it just goes to a screen that says c:\ drive is clean and then goes to the same blank screen with the cursor. I can't get to a reformat menu even. I finally tried putting in a live CD of Ubuntu Linux. That is what I'm using to write this. When I try to access my hard drive from Linux I get an error message that says:

Unable to mount volume

$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0,0) Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': operation not Supported Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use.

What can I do???? I can't get my files, I can't boot windows, I can't even reformat!!!!!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when you get to the safe mode menu...try Last Known Good Configuration option

hullabaloo2

hullabaloo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I forgot to mention that I already tried that. It just takes me to the same screen. ALL of the options in that menu take me to the same black screen with the mouse cursor.

edit: I can't mount my HD in Linux, but what are the chances that I could mount it in Vista if I put it into a USB enclosure?

Edited by hullabaloo2, 11 September 2008 - 10:05 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then try a repair...lowdown here...

hullabaloo2

hullabaloo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

then try a repair...lowdown here...

That's one of the first things that I tried. It just says that it's analyzing (or something like that, I can't quite remember verbatim) the C: drive and that the C drive is clean. It then sends me to the black screen.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try again...this time pay attention...it should say press any key to boot from the cd...
write down exactly what it says if it hangs or stops the loading of files...

Edited by happyrock, 11 September 2008 - 04:30 PM.

hullabaloo2

hullabaloo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, nothing was working. I kept getting sent to the black screen so I went out and bought an enclosure. I plugged my HD into a Vista computer, and it's reading just fine. I'm copying the files I want over right now. After that I'm going to see if I remove the drive correctly from this computer if it will work right in mine. If not, I'll just reformat it. Thanks for you time and effort! I really do appreciate your responses happyrock.