Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DrWatson32 errors

• Please log in to reply

Xad

Xad

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
In case this will be of any help, I previously made a thread in the Malware Removal section here. However, it doesn't seem as though malware is causing my problem.

What has been happening recently is that soon after the computer starts up, or any time a new window is opened a DrWtsn32.exe process starts to run in the Task Manager, which will freeze explorer.exe for a few seconds, and then it will either disappear or create a DrWtsn32.exe crash window with the option to send or not send an error report to Microsoft, and afterwards explorer.exe restarts. However, which programs this effects seems to be random, and after it happens once to a program, it usually doesn't happen again until rebooting. I might be wrong, but it seems that the longer the computer is on, the less likely this is to occur. Also, all internet browsers seem to load pages unusually slowly sometimes. When they're slow (using Firefox as an example) the progress bar says "Looking up <website name>" for about 20-30 seconds, and then the page loads like normal.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
To disable Dr. Watson
1. Click Start... click Run... type in... regedit and then click OK....or press enter
2. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug...
you can just change the dword value...Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0 disable
Value: 1 enable
OR

NOTE: Steps three and four are optional, but they necessary if you want to restore the default use of Dr. Watson.
3. Click the AeDebug key, and then click Export Registry File on the Registry menu.
4. Enter a name and location for the saved registry file, and then click Save.

5. Delete the AeDebug key.
reboot

Edited by happyrock, 12 September 2008 - 07:52 AM.

Xad

Xad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
UserDebuggerHotKey was already set to 0, so I backed up and deleted the key. After rebooting, any program launched would cause this error:

Explorer.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x7342611a" referenced memory at "0x7342611a". The memory could not be "read"

Click on OK to terminate the program.

Clicking on OK restarts explorer.exe.

I restored the registry and rebooted, which got rid of that error, but the DrWatson ones are obviously back. Setting UserDebuggerHotKey to 1 changed nothing.

If it helps at all, attached is what is in the AeDebug key.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.PNG

Edited by Xad, 12 September 2008 - 01:50 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Start...run...type in drwtsn32.exe....
Uncheck the boxes & Change the # of errors to save to zero

Xad

Xad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I rebooted to test (normally a DrWatson error occurs when the desktop loads), and there was no error as usual, but the DrWatson process still runs whenever I open a program, and freezes explorer.exe for a few seconds, or if I end the process, explorer restarts.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go back in the registry and change the auto value to zero..back it up first...save it to your desktop to make it easy to find...just in case

Xad

Xad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Setting Auto to 0 caused the same problem as in my second post, but instead of just saying "Click OK to terminate the program," it also says "Click Cancel to debug the program." Clicking on OK restarts explorer.exe, and clicking cancel freezes it, and DrWatson32 starts running as a process.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the only thing I have left is to run sfc /scannow...the downside is it will remove all the updates and you would have to get them all over again...

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files guide here...

Xad

Xad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
That seems to have fixed everything! Thank you.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)