Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

HD/OS incompatiblitiy?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3300631AS
Intel D945GCNL LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Motherboard
Intel Celeron D 356 Cedar Mill 3.33GHz LGA 775 Single-Core Processor Model 80552356

I formatt then partition HD into half then install xp sp1 and install drivers for MB lan audio graphics then when I go to update windows xp
I validate I get part way through sp2 update and comp goes black screen when I reboot I have black screen with curser in top left corner
Is this is a compatibility issue and is there anyway arround this?
Perhaps I have updated drivers /Xp in wrong order?

I remember reading a compatibility chart somewhere when I first bought that HD was not compatible with anything less then xpsp2 but it runs fine until I go to update it to sp2 :)
any suggestions or help is greatly apprciated

Post 1 of 1 | Back to top

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Doesn't sound like a hardware problem, I think its more an OS problem, if you have another windows disk try that or what I would reccomend is for you to get a copy with all the updates integrated either from someone you know(you can copy windows disks as many times as you want legally) or order it from MS who can send a disk out to you.

Also I am pretty sure MS offer a single download of all the updates right up to the last service pack, I would get that instead of trying to download and install packs individually.

I would ask a mod to move this thread into the XP forum as well as it doesn't sound hardware related.