Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best wireless network cards for security testing

• Please log in to reply

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
;) Hi, I want to test the security of some friends wireless networks using my laptop and a pcmcia wireless network card.

My preference is for one which will work well with both Windows (NetStumbler) and Linux (Kismet).

Any advice on the best cards out there, how much I could expect to pay for one, and where is the best place to buy. I understand I may have to be careful when purchasing, because some chipsets are better than others.

Any help appreciated :tazz:

DaveB - LinuxWannabee

Advertisements

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
:) Hi Yall!

This is a legitimate question - I am asking it because I want to get into wireless security and offer help to domestic and business customers.

I am not someone who wants to get into 'wardriving' for criminal or plain mischievous purposes - so how come, no replies but plenty of views ;)

:tazz: Well, there's loads of info out their on the web, guess I'll have to look elsewhere, but I thought this would be as good a starting point as any.

:) Any brave souls out there with views on the best hardware

;) DaveB - LinuxWannabee (gonnabee)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
you might be better served posting this question in the networking forum. :tazz:

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
;) Thanks for the tip audioboy.

Will try my luck in the networking board as you say :tazz:

DaveB - LinuxWannabee