Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Which registry software is best?

• Please log in to reply

Jnita

Jnita

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello,

Just upgraded my system.

Could you please advice which registry software runs best with XP, and does not conflict with AVG Internet security + Spybot.

Q: My dad receives a newsletter, this person alleges that it is advisable not to run registry software...if, like me, you do not know how to handle the REGEDIT function of your system?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Juanita

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
Jnita,

I would agree with the person in your dad's newsletter. It's our general policy here to advise against registry cleaners. Using a registry cleaner will have no impact on the efficiency and speed of your PC, and can easily render it unusable by damaging your registry beyond repair. This blog post was written by one of our experts here, and is very good reading.

A better option is a program that will clean temp files, cookies, etc. This will do a better job of keeping your system running smoothly and more efficiently. One of our preferred tools is ATF Cleaner.

Jnita

Jnita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi Sari,

Thanks for your reply.

With regard to temp file - I see the new version of spybot does a function before scan.....deleting temp folders...and the scan cleans cookies...
is this the same as what you refered to? or sould I run the ATF cleaner?

Regards,
Juanita

Edited by Jnita, 11 September 2008 - 10:26 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
While there are overlapping functions between the two, these programs are fundamentally different. Spybot is a scanner, so it's looking for spyware/malware/adware. It cleans the temp files and folders and cookies, because these are areas where malware can hide.

ATFCleaner is only a cleaner - in addition to temp folders and cookies, it empties your recycle bin, clears your Internet history, Java cache, etc.

There would be nothing wrong with running both of these programs periodically; Spybot to help keep your system clean of malware, and ATFCleaner to keep it running more efficiently.

I hope this helps. :)

Jnita

Jnita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Sari,

Thanks for your assistance.

Enjoy your day!

Regards
juanita

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I must agree with Sari- using 'registry cleaners' is just asking for trouble. But that does not mean that the Registry should be ignored. Rather, it should be backed up- and regularly- with ERUNT

It would reduce the number of problem posts at Geeks-to-Go by at least half if everyone had a functional ERUNT Registry backup on hand to use in case of serious trouble.

This application will make a backup of the Registry on demand that can be restored with a couple of clicks and a reboot. Further, during installation, ERUNT will offer to make such a backup automatically at first boot every day and save the last 30. This gives me the opportunity at any time to "go back" to any morning of the last month.

I encourage everyone to put ERUNT to work for them as soon as possible.
I won't boot without it!

Erunt: http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/
Tutorial and explanation: http://www.larsheder...erunt/erunt.txt
Another: http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I have to agree with sari and 1101doc's comments .
Having been a Beta tester for Registry Cleaners as a hobby ,
Rule 1. If you have to ask , "Which registry software is best?" your probably jumping in way too early Juanita . There will be the ocassional time when you'll need to access your registry for minor changes , which should be done in REGEDIT .
When that time comes be guided by an expert , when in doubt do nothing :) Read a "trusted source" about the Registry and begin to understand and learn what it is .
Rule 2. ERUNT : make a .reg backup before making any changes to your system . Before installing new software , if something doesn't workout you can revert back to a pre-install state .
The Registry really does not need regular cleaning unless your making large changes to your system on a daily or weekly basis . I did notice when running Win 98 SE that registry cleaning had a positive effect on performace , not so with Win XP , in my opinion .
ERUNT does have a Registry defragmenter of sorts called NTREGOPT.EXE which can be found in your C:\Program Files\ERUNT directory .

Erunt can't replace Windows System Restore , or a image Backup of your Hard Drive .

Play safe and ask if you are unsure :)

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts

Erunt can't replace Windows System Restore , or a image Backup of your Hard Drive .

True. And True. That is why we should all have all 3.

But. For those who are just beginning to understand the need for the ability to control the state of the XP (Windows) environment, ERUNT provides a very easy to use first line of defense.

Once installed, almost anyone (including my 82 yr old Mother) can quickly understand how to do it. The other benefit, of course, is its speed. It takes barely a minute longer than a simple reboot.

I always make a shortcut to the ERDNT folder and place it on the desktop for my clients and name it "Go Back." Then I show them how to find the ERDNT.exe file for the date they want to use. A double click and reboot and they are good to go. "Goofyness" gone. (In a very large percentage of cases.)

1. Last known good configuration
2. ERUNT
3. System Restore
4. Drive Image Replacement

I often find that folks have difficulty creating System Restore points.
Doug Knox created a simple script to set a restore point that can be used as a shortcut.
Very handy: http://www.dougknox....estorepoint.htm