Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Random Computer Freeze

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is my second build and it's been going smoothly for almost 13 months, but a week ago, it started freezing randomly. Sometimes after a couple hours of operating, sometimes right after start. There is no rhyme or obvious reason. I'm running SpeedFan and the temps are not unusual (since it freezes hard, the last recorded temps are still sitting there). I tested the memory and it is not indicating a flaw. I have cleaned the fans and the interior to no avail. It wasn't particularly filthy.

It will freeze prior to logging on, in safe mode, and even when booting from the Windows CD. I have also optimized the defaults.

MB: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
Processor: Intel E6550
Mem: 1GBx2 KST KHX6400
Video: EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
HD: Seagate 320G SATA
Power: Antec 500w EA500
Optical: Sony DVR-DRU-830A
Case: Antec Sonata III Quiet

I've checked my power supply with a multimeter and the ATX leads all check good. On the ATX_12V, both leads are reading about 0.2 or so. I thought those needed to run around 12V.

I've been looking for a pattern and it hasn't been really note worthy. It will generally freeze after 2 hours on the first "on" of the day. If I restart right after this, the "on" time varies between 15 minutes to an hour or more. After that, the time is still random, but the high end gets smaller, and it might even freeze within minutes of start.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by dogfood, 11 September 2008 - 08:36 AM.

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Since you state that this happens in safe mode, or booting from the Windows CD I believe it to be a hardware issue.
Before we get in to the dirt of this let me ask you how well skilled you are, and do you have any USB devices connected to the machine?
Have you made any hardware changes (including mouse, keyboard)?
Since the hard drive is not involved in booting from the Windows CD we will exclude it for now.
I would like for you to exchange the power supply for a known good unit. (A failing power supply may work fine for a period of time and then stop).
I think that this is where the issue is.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The only hardware change I've made recently is going from two 19" flat panel displays to one 28" flat panel display in mid-July. I have several USB devices plugged in (no recent changes):
Treo charger, Caonscan LiDE 600F, trackball, Blueant charger, iPod connector, Wacom Intuous 3, Activcard reader, Seagate external drive.

I'm fairly skilled (I've built two machines and maintain my home network). I was able to get the voltage readings from the power supply, anyway. So, not without some experience, but not ready to wire up the Vatican. I'm fairly good at following explicit directions (especially ones with pretty pictures).

Since I'm fairly sure it's a power supply problem, too, I guess this means I'm going to have to purchase a new one just to check, doesn't it? I'm pretty sure this one is still under warranty (Antec says three years), but haven't heard the defining word from them, yet.

Thanks for the quick response, by the way!