Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing files from cd

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I need to copy some files and programs, such as Firefox, to a cd so that I can do some work on the OS and the hard drive.
When I am done I need to be able to install the programs and files and have them work.
I know it can be done. But I've tried in the past and never been able to get it right.
I have XP Pro w/SP3.
Thanks.
jst42day

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
All you will need to do is burn the installer. Copy the installer off of the CD to a hard drive and install.

Maybe I am not fully understanding?

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
OK.
I'm the one missing something.
What installer am I burning to cd and then installing?
In the past, when I tried this with Files and Setting Transfer Wizard I followed the wizard through burning what I needed to cd.
I don't remember anything about an installer.
Thanks.
jst42day

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The installer is the program you used to put the program on the machine in the first place.
For Firefox this is a free download from Mozilla.org.

You cannot just copy the program files themselves to another drive and expect the program to work on another machine, you need the installer.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Neil,
Thanks. Putting it that way woke me up.
I appreciate your help.
jst42day