Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help re: reinstalling Office after wipe

• Please log in to reply

kjsoccerboy

kjsoccerboy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys,
I am planning on wiping my computer and then reinstalling Windows and such just to start fresh. I'm a little confused though as to everything Microsoft-based running right now that I have to backup or plan to reinstall. First off, I have the Windows XP Home Edition (with SP1) CD that came with the Dell computer, OEM I think it's called? Anyways, I tried to do a repair install of Windows just to make sure it's the right CD and it said it couldn't because the version running is a more recent updated version, I figured that's normal because of everything updated over time.
But I'm confused as to what to do about Microsoft Office because I only have two Office CDs, one says Version 2002 Step by Step Interactive Training and the other, Version 2002 Media Content. The Media Content is the one that installs Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Outlook correct?

And also, just in case I used the keyfinder and it gives me keys for Microsoft Windows XP Home Ed, Office XP Pro, Office XP Small Business, and Microsoft Publisher 2002, but I think this is because I had to install Publisher later because Office XP Small Bus didn't have it. If I just have the key it gave me, will I be ok in reinstalling it?

Thank you very much for your help!

Edited by kjsoccerboy, 11 September 2008 - 08:37 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Media Content CD is essentially a collection of extra clipart, fonts, pictures etc.
If Office was on the PC when you had it and this is a branded computer then its most likely it came bundled with it. In this situation you rarely get the CD for it now.

If its a custom built PC then Office has come from somewhere else and to reinstall it later you'd need the original CD. No CD means you cannot put Office back on afterwards. The key on its own is no good.

kjsoccerboy

kjsoccerboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
So is there a way to get Office if I don't have the CD? Like could I just install it from the old computer's backup?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
No, you need the CD.
The alternative is to use an Office substitute - such as OpenOffice - http://www.openoffice.org - which will read and save to Word files.