Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1280 ram in a Dell D410 ok ?

• Please log in to reply

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I just purchased a used Dell D410 and it has an odd ram configuration: a 512mb chip and a 256mb chip. One of these is easy to get to from the back of the laptop, they other is located under the keyboard and is harder to get to. I've purchased a 1024 chip; is it ok to pull say the 512 and add the 1024 = making a total of 1280 ?

Phil

Edited by Buccaneer, 11 September 2008 - 10:04 PM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I'd say that the module under the keyboard is easy to get to - just pop open the hinge cover, and loosen two screws. Bada bing, you're there. You don't even have to disconnect the keyboard, just flip it over and set it upside down on top of the palmrest. Clicky for instructions.

I'm 99% sure that the larger stick of memory (the 1 GB) needs to go into DIMM A (under the keyboard), and you can put the 512 MB into DIMM B (under the access hatch on the bottom of the laptop).